Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse pad and USB mouse has a mind of its own

I have a laptop latitude D820.

The mouse pad on the laptop or when any USB mouse is connected, it just moves on its own, either to the top right corner of the bottom left corner, it has now got a bit worse, to that is was fluttering in one spot in the middle of screen and I couldnt move it anywhere which forced me to shut down the laptop.

I have uninstalled and re-isntalled the latest drivers to no avail.

The OS is XP with SP3.

Can anyone advise?
    Thanks
    R

Re: Mouse pad and USB mouse has a mind of its own

If you use an external mouse, just disable the pad in hardware

Are you sure you are not resting your wrist or fingers on it -- I do that all the time and have problems with the mouse jumping
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does that laptop model have a "nipple"? My Google search suggests that it does. If so, does twiddling it help? On some notebook models such as Lenovo's ThinkPad SL500, it's not calibrated very well and can drift. Alternatively, it may have developed a fault and need replacing as was the case on a Dell Mobile Precision notebook I took delivery of.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        If you use an external mouse, just disable the pad in hardware

Are you sure you are not resting your wrist or fingers on it -- I do that all the time and have problems with the mouse jumping

yeah im, sure, it doesnt just move and stop, it keeps going till it reaches the screen corner of the screen then keeps trying to move further, also like I said before the cursor got stuck in the middle of the screen a couple of times too, trying to move but wouldn't. Its so bizarre and it happes all the time with the the mousepad or using an external mouse. I feel it may be software related. Ill keep digging!

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Does that laptop model have a "nipple"? My Google search suggests that it does. If so, does twiddling it help? On some notebook models such as Lenovo's ThinkPad SL500, it's not calibrated very well and can drift. Alternatively, it may have developed a fault and need replacing as was the case on a Dell Mobile Precision notebook I took delivery of.

Hmmm , Ill have a go at twiddling it! ill look into calibrating it, thats a good idea!

Thanks
          R

Comment

When I say calibration, I mean as done by the manufacturer when the system was built, rather than the calibration you can do with the software. With the Lenovo notebook I mentioned for example, the problem is that the chassis is about as rigid as Rofl Harris' wobble board, so the nipple housing keeps on shifting slightly.

If anyone is unsure what a laptop's nipple is, and you're over 18 (), Google "xkcd appropriate term".
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I used to see this one a lot, gforceindustries is correct in that it is almost certainly the Track Stick (as Dell refer to them, they don't like the word nipple ) causing the issue. If you haven't already download the ALPS drivers from support.euro.dell.com for your machine and this allows you to individually disable the touchpad and trackstick and find the source of the issue. If it's still under warranty Dell should replace the offending part for you.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Nipples are more fun to twiddle. Aren't they?

When I had the problem with a Dell laptop, it was a problem from day one so I just sent it straight back. But then I've onlly ever dealt with the higher end Dell laptops - I don't touch their cheaper models because of the lower build quality, so I don't know if this is a problem that could feasibly develop over time on a Latitude.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks guys, ill download the software from dell and try it.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    I used to see this one a lot, gforceindustries is correct in that it is almost certainly the Track Stick (as Dell refer to them, they don't like the word nipple ) causing the issue. If you haven't already download the ALPS drivers from support.euro.dell.com for your machine and this allows you to individually disable the touchpad and trackstick and find the source of the issue. If it's still under warranty Dell should replace the offending part for you.

Hi what is the ALPS drivers? im on the dell website and cant find it what im looking for>
                    thanks

Comment

ignore this statement, i found it

Comment

Originally posted by rkaria View Post
                        im on the dell website and cant find it what im looking for
                        I don't know your service tag so I went through the list and selected your model instead. The driver you need is under Input Device Drivers, download the driver for the Touchpad / Pointing Stick, released 05/11/2007 version 7.1.102.7, A03.

While you're there, you could also download the latest diagnostics. Have you tried booting into diagnostic mode? From memory that includes tests of the touchpad and nub.

Originally posted by rkaria View Post
                        Hi what is the ALPS drivers?
                        http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ALPS+driver
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

thanks you so much for everyones help, but I think I have resolved it. I upgrad the laptop to SP3 as it was on SP2 and now it has been working fine since yesterday afternoon and all day today, where as before it constantly was causing problems.

Thanks again, hopefully this upgrade will have sorted the problem
                          R

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. Seems a little odd that a Windows SP would clear the issue, but whatever works

Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                              Does that laptop model have a "nipple"? My Google search suggests that it does. If so, does twiddling it help?

I know this is finished, but I have to point out the it advice of "twiddle the nipple to fix the touchpad"....

BEST ADVICE EVER!

Wofen
                              Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                              X