X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randywhite30
    started a topic Mirrored Raid configuration

Mirrored Raid configuration

I currently have a server that has a mirrored set of 400gb hard drives in it I ran out of space. I am trying to avoiding reinstalling the server so I would like to know.

If I replace one of the 400gb hard drives with a terabyte drive then allow the raid to rebuild then replace the other 400gb hard drive with a second terabyte drive then allow the array to rebuild will I have access to the full terabyte of storage or will I only have access to the 400gb of storage.

I am hoping I will have access to the full terabyte of storage and just extend the partition to allow the OS to use the other 600gb of storage.

Thanks

• gforceindustries
    replied
    Re: Mirrored Raid configuration

Can't hurt to try. If you've got a spare machine, have a few practice runs beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• randywhite30
    replied

I have a plan to put into place next weekend. I have found acronis and I am going to take an image of the logical drive. Then I will replace the drives in the raid array with the tarabyte drives. Then I will restore that image to the new raid array if all goes well that should work.

Leave a comment:

• boondock
    replied

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
    Moving the system to a new RAID volume rather than expanding the existing RAID volume would require reinstallation of the OS, which the OP doesn't want to do.

I'm not saying move to a new RAID volume, I'm saying create a new RAID volume beside his current RAID volume, then move his data to the new volume.

Leave a comment:

• gforceindustries
    replied

Moving the system to a new RAID volume rather than expanding the existing RAID volume would require reinstallation of the OS, which the OP doesn't want to do.

Leave a comment:

• boondock
    replied

Do you have the ability to add additional drives to the server?

For instance, could you add two 1 terabyte drives to the machine, create a new RAID, then move the data over?

Leave a comment:

• randywhite30
    replied

yes there are two partitions

Leave a comment:

• biggles77
    replied

Does the 400GB HDD have a single or mutiple partitions?

Leave a comment:

• gforceindustries
    replied

Take a backup before you start and make sure it's a good one, and then make sure the machine won't go down during the rebuild - it should ideally be on a UPS.

Leave a comment:

• Ossian
    replied

Agree re backups

Many RAID controllers will only use the capacity of the existing drive, so you will probably get 400Gb plus 600 free. If its a good controller, you will be able to create a second logical drive with the 600

Consult your manual for the correct answer!

Leave a comment:

• gforceindustries
    replied

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
    we do have backups but I dont trust them completely
    That sounds like something to be addressed asap...

Leave a comment:

• randywhite30
    replied

We are using the onboard raid controller on the motherboard SE7520BD2. And we do have backups but I dont trust them completely and I dont want to take this server offline for more than a few hours. It would be nice to just use the server while the raid rebuilds and still access the full amount of storage of the new drives.

Leave a comment:

• gforceindustries
    replied

Not knowing what RAID controller you use, the only suggestion I can make is to consult its documentation, contact its manufacturer or ask in a support forum for that product.

If you do have to reinstall though, I would have thought you would have good backups in place that would mean you can perform a bare-metal restore quickly enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X