Mirrored Raid configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrored Raid configuration

I currently have a server that has a mirrored set of 400gb hard drives in it I ran out of space. I am trying to avoiding reinstalling the server so I would like to know.

If I replace one of the 400gb hard drives with a terabyte drive then allow the raid to rebuild then replace the other 400gb hard drive with a second terabyte drive then allow the array to rebuild will I have access to the full terabyte of storage or will I only have access to the 400gb of storage.

I am hoping I will have access to the full terabyte of storage and just extend the partition to allow the OS to use the other 600gb of storage.

Thanks

Re: Mirrored Raid configuration

Not knowing what RAID controller you use, the only suggestion I can make is to consult its documentation, contact its manufacturer or ask in a support forum for that product.

If you do have to reinstall though, I would have thought you would have good backups in place that would mean you can perform a bare-metal restore quickly enough.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are using the onboard raid controller on the motherboard SE7520BD2. And we do have backups but I dont trust them completely and I dont want to take this server offline for more than a few hours. It would be nice to just use the server while the raid rebuilds and still access the full amount of storage of the new drives.

Comment

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
        we do have backups but I dont trust them completely
        That sounds like something to be addressed asap...
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Agree re backups

Many RAID controllers will only use the capacity of the existing drive, so you will probably get 400Gb plus 600 free. If its a good controller, you will be able to create a second logical drive with the 600

Consult your manual for the correct answer!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Take a backup before you start and make sure it's a good one, and then make sure the machine won't go down during the rebuild - it should ideally be on a UPS.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Does the 400GB HDD have a single or mutiple partitions?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes there are two partitions

Comment

Do you have the ability to add additional drives to the server?

For instance, could you add two 1 terabyte drives to the machine, create a new RAID, then move the data over?
                  MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Moving the system to a new RAID volume rather than expanding the existing RAID volume would require reinstallation of the OS, which the OP doesn't want to do.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      Moving the system to a new RAID volume rather than expanding the existing RAID volume would require reinstallation of the OS, which the OP doesn't want to do.

I'm not saying move to a new RAID volume, I'm saying create a new RAID volume beside his current RAID volume, then move his data to the new volume.
                      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

I have a plan to put into place next weekend. I have found acronis and I am going to take an image of the logical drive. Then I will replace the drives in the raid array with the tarabyte drives. Then I will restore that image to the new raid array if all goes well that should work.

Comment

Can't hurt to try. If you've got a spare machine, have a few practice runs beforehand.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                          X