Laptop with French Keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop with French Keyboard

My colleague has a Dell (Inspiron 1500) with a French keyboard using Vista Home (french Version). The HD became sluggish and is "dying"
    he would like to replace the HD and to install Win7 Home (English version).
    What is the cheapest method to do so:
    - To replace the keyboard (have been told it is not easy)
    - To install letraset stickers on "the specific letters" on the keyboard.

Is it enough modifying/replacing the keyboard to use Operating System English version?

Thanks

Re: Laptop with French Keyboard

Originally posted by sammy View Post
    What is the cheapest method to do so
    Since replacing the keyboard means buying a keyboard whereas the alternative involves buying some sticky labels, I would have thought you could answer this question for yourself. When you looked up prices, how much did Dell want for the new keyboard, and how much can you get the labels for?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Replacing the keyboard's pretty easy.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Keyboards are 10.99 on ebay. Dell keep their service manuals online too, take off the hinge cover and remove 2 screws.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Typex is always a good option
          Or learn to touch type
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Or learn to touch type
            Good idea, and much cheaper than buying Das Keyboard too
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for your recommendations.
              The problem is that he needs this laptop for a dual language program (including English not French).
              We replaced the defective HD installing a new one and re-installed the OS (dual language).
              Everything ran smooth i.e. the keyboard working in both languages, except for four keycaps "not responding":
              Backspace, Ctrl (left), Shift (left) and Caps Lock. The Shift right side is working.
              we tried contacting Dell service support in our country, but it seems to be 'under-average". They also said that a keyboard (dual language) is not available and we have to wait approximately three weeks.
              we got sticky labels (dual language) - very cheap.
              We are checking the opportunity to get/purchase a standard keyboard abroad, but in the mean time is there any action which can be performed to "energize" above keycaps, such as cleaning using contact spray, or other process?

thanks

Comment

Cleaning the contacts may help if dirty contacts are the problem, but be careful of the stuff that melts plastic.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X