Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to setup RAID5 on mobo controller- status is not bootable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to setup RAID5 on mobo controller- status is not bootable?

I have purchased 4x WD20EARS 2 TB HDDs to be used with my motherboard in a RAID5 configuration. I have successfully setup the HDDs as RAID5 but the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, V7.5.0.1017, says my RAID5 array is not bootable and thus I can not install my OS. I've looked all over my RAID controller's BIOS menus but can not see where I can toggle this setting to "Bootable- OK".

After experimenting, it seems that the only RAID combination which is bootable is a 2x HDD RAID1 mirror.

I have two RAID controllers:

* Intel Matrix Storage Manager- 6 ports.
    * Gigabyte RAID controller- 2 ports.

Can you pls advise why I can not create a bootable RAID5 array on the Intel controller?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-X38-DS5
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : F7E
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Asus Model : 8800gts
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : 6850 Speed : 3 ghz
    Operation System : Win 7 32-bit SP :
    Memory Brand : Kingston Type :
    Memory Size : 2 gb Speed :
    Power Supply : 750 W
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Trying to setup RAID5 on mobo controller- status is not bootable?

is there an option on the Motherboard BIOS to boot off the Intel controller?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Strange, I have a gigabyte MB at home, with an intel matrix controller and raid5, and it works perfectly for almost 2 years now

lost a drive once, replaced and rebuilt, but that's it
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I found the answer. Intel Matrix Storage Manager only supports bootable RAID configurations upto 2 TB in size. Any RAID configuration which is greater than 2 TB is automatically marked as Not Bootable and can only be used as a data storage unit- not for OS, thus the requirement of extra disk(s) as the boot partition.

The solution was to create a RAID5 volume of 1 TB. Interestingly, Intel SM allows you to create another RAID5 volume using the remainder of the disk space as another raid volume.

I thus ended up with the following using the 4x 2 TB HDDs:

* RAID5 volume of 1 TB in size named "RAID5_01"
        * RAID5 volume of 4.5 TB in size named "RAID5_02"

==> Interestingly each 2 TB drive comes up as a 1.8 TB disk in the RAID BIOS which equates to 5.4 TB total. Looks like 200 GB is used for RAID overheads (parity) on each drive.

I then installed Win7 on RAID5_01 which became my C-drive and created a D-drive on RAID5_02.

Seems Intel provides the mobo manufacturers with a cut-down/crippled version of their SM code for generic RAID purposes. I just wish my mobo manual told me of the limitations beforehand! I bet none of the mobo manufacturers using Intel state this fact on any of their products!

Remember that you can create ANY size RAID group using Intel SM but anything over 2 TB in size will not be marked as a bootable drive.
        Last edited by JDMils; 18th June 2010, 02:52.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

good to know, I use smaller 250G disks here
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
          X