Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network printer issue

Hi, folks

I have a strange problem with a printer.

We use a Konica/Minolta CS193 printer. It is connected to the network and is managed via a Windows 2003 Server Print Server. The network is a single Windows Active Directory domain. Some of the clients use the driver from the Print Server (a PostScript driver) and others use a PCL6 driver by connecting directly to the printer.

Yesterday and today some of the WinXP Pro SP3 clients connected directly to the printer began having connectivity issues with it (everything else can be accessed, including other printers).

The printer is reported as being offline and of course documents will not print. However, it can be pinged, and when accessed via \\IP Address alternate methods of accessing it are available and work (such as Direct and Print - see image).

The printer was setup by adding a printer, choosing local, setting up the TCP Port to use, then choosing the PCL6 driver.

Deleting the printer from the Printer and Faxes window and deleting the driver from File>Server Properties, rebooting and reinstalling results in the same 'offline' behaviour.

This behaviour has occurred on three of the clients so far.

Anyone know what may be causing this please?

Thanks.

[Edit]
    Added another image. The printers outlined in red are the same printer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blood; 27th May 2010, 16:25.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Network printer issue

Double click on the printer you have higlighted as offline, click Printer and make sure there is no Offline option ticked.
    Also check that it is pointing to the correct Port.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just shooting: Is this a new printer and is there a new port created?
      You could be connected to an old port.
      MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Thanks for both your replies.

The printer has been in use for over a year. The port is definitely correct. The printer is not set to 'Use printer offline...'

I don't understand why it is happening on some WinXP Pro SP3 clients and not on others

All the clients use the same settings for their firewall (centrally managed), all have the same updates (from WSUS).

Comment

How is the printer deployed?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is deployed via the Print Server (it is listed in the Deployed Printers node) and applied to the Default Domain Policy, but it has never 'deployed' automatically to any Win2k/Win XP client. It does automatically appear in Win7 clients.

WinXP users have to manually add the printer before they can use it. They add it by searching the Directory. We only have a few printers managed this way so all they need to do is press the find now button and then add it. The process takes just a few seconds to complete.

Comment

Weird man.

Maybe the printerdriver needs to be updated?

A short "Google session" learns that much issues exist with XP SP3 en and shared printing.
              A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Hi, Ciro, thanks for your reply.

Weird indeed. We've had shared printers in our office for many years, though I only started using the Print Server on W2k3 just over a year ago. Never had any problems that couldn't be solved by trying any of the above suggestions.

We have a long weekend here in the UK (Bank Holiday), so after that I'll see if updated drivers are available. We also have an Oce (who lease us the printer) engineer arriving on Tues morning so I'll pick his brains too.

Cheers!

Comment

you have checked that someone hasnt changed the network settings on the printer and turned DHCP on or changed the IP address
                  Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Thanks for your eply.

If that had happened it would have affected all the clients.

This is a small network. No one else knows the password to reset the printer's configuration and no one else has the permissions to change anything on the print server apart from me.

It is truly strange.

I bet the solution will be one of those D'oh! moments!

Comment

Any luck on the printer driver?

BTW: Did you found any clues in the eventlogs on the client and/or the server about this issue?

AND:
                      Has the printserver been rebooted since the issue, or did you restart de printerspooler service on the server?

Weird indeed...
                      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

I have actually run into quite a few problems on non-HP printers with the PCL drivers. To the point that I load PCL on HP network printers and PS drivers on all Xerox and Minolta printers. I was a big believer in the PCL drivers but Xerox (especially Xerox) has some major issues with them. Did you give the PS drivers a whirl on the local setup?
                        Two things:
                        1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
                        2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

No, did not try latest drivers nor PS drivers.

Today, the printer connections are all reporting Ready. Nothing has changed as far as I am aware - the clients have been switched off the last few days.

I checked the event logs on the clients but nothing was reported.

Sometimes we just have to go with the flow

Thanks to everyone for help. I appreciate it very much.

Comment

Apologies for dredging this up, but I think I have discovered the reason for this.

When setting up the PS driver for the printer on the print server I configured it to be automatically deployed. Automatic deployment never worked with XP clients on our network, though it did with Vista/Win7 clients.

After I removed the printer from the automatic deployment section of the Print Server the affected XP clients that used the TCP connection to the printer soon showed the printer status as 'Ready'. The clients can now print using the TCP connection (PCL6 driver).

Hopefully, this not just coincidence.

This problem had resurfaced so I had posted on Microsoft's forum. A better explanation of the setup can be found in that thread

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the solution Blood. You Community Spirit is greatly appreciated.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X