No announcement yet.

a good KVM 16 port console

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a good KVM 16 port console

Its come to the stage where we dont have enough room in the server racks to house our flat screen monitor. I now need to buy a KVM which takes the minimum amount of space.

After having a look I can see there are all sorts of different ones. IP or non IP, 8 port 16 port etc.

Can anyone recommend a good 16 port KVM, ideally I am looking at one with USB connections as all of our servers have USB and our Mac Xserve is only USB and have found it flaky using one of the ps2 to usb converters as the KVM we have at the moment is just a basic belkin one which doesnt have the fancy bits and screen and is only PS2.

Also is it worth spending the extra on an IP KVM, am I right in saying that the benefit this gives is we can control all of our servers via IP (similar to using VNC). If the network was to go down I am assuming this would stop working? have people found the control better than using something like RDP or VNC?

I have also seen KVM consoles which have a single copper port at the back of the KVM and then just a video and kb/mouse input to each server, I like this as there will be less cables everywhere, has anyone got this, is it any good?

If anyone could advise it would be most appreciated.

Re: a good KVM 16 port console

We have this unit in our datacenter:

The cable connections can be USB or PS/2, and yes I think the extra cost for an IP KVM is worth it.

Well you have two types, Cat5 KVM and IP KVM. One goes over standard TCP/IP and integrates with your existing Ethernet and the other just uses Cat5 cabling instead of the fat/ugly cabling.

I would go with a good Cat5 KVM, the best in my opinion is Avocent.

I'm using Minicom products. Very satisfied. Especially the fact that they actually form a CAT5-connected chain, so whenever I buy a new server, I only have to buy a new Specter for it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.