No announcement yet.

Wear on HD's

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear on HD's

I have a an external HD (SimpleTech SimpleDrive STI-USB235 160 GB). A techy told me that ext HD's are not meant to be ON all the time--just for doing backups (???).....I use mine for all my personal data and many of my programs (I have a small, old system), so I have it on all the time my computer is running (morning to late at night) and work on it a lot. Should I not be doing this?? It has been in steady use like this for four years with no problem that couldn't be fixed with a simple reboot occasionally. Recently I replaced the adaptor cable because the HD was konking out on me, but since I did, it seems to be fine. Am I working it too much? Should it not be in constant use? I have a second HD which is a backup of it.

XP Professional Service Pack2
    Pentium III 866mhz 256 Mb SDRAM 20 GB

Re: Wear on HD's

basically - my understanding is, a hard drive in a removable or external caddy is no different to a hard drive IN a computer.

ultimately, a consumer grade hard drive isn't _intended_ to run 24x7, but probably can.
    a server grade hard drive, you would expect to run 24x7. provided cooling and power draw etc are ok.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

I've never had a light bulb burn out while its on, its always when I turn the damn thing on! Of coure this same rule applies to hard disks, so I'll bet a HD running 24/7 will outlast one that is turned on and off daily.

They were misinformed. External HDDs are the same if not better than internal ones. Example: My external Maxtor 750 GB's case is one big heatsink. I guarantee it's cooler than my internal drives.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Every single external HD I have ever owned or used has just been a standard hard drive in an enclosure. Lower end servers that don't have SAS or SCSI drives use the same SATA drives that are in these enclosures and DO run 24/7.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          Cruachan's Blog

Here you can read more about errors/wear on consumer grade HDD's (report dated 2007). The cooling part is very interesting

I use my internal HDD's not more the 4 years in my desktops I guess. When I had a BBS a very long long long time ago it ran 24/7 for years and I never had a drive failure.

Are external HDD's so much different then the internal HDD's? I guess not. You can put a "internal" HDD in a external (USB/FireWire/ESATA/etc) casing and voila.
            MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
            A+ Core | ITIL-F