Dell PowerEdge T310 Hidden partition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell PowerEdge T310 Hidden partition

We have a batch of new Dell servers and are attempting to create and out-of-box image. We are trying to backup the Dell hidden partition, using WinPE. I have contacted Dell and they have been less than helpful. Has anyone been able to successfully create a backup image of this partion? What did you use to create it?

Re: Dell PowerEdge T310 Hidden partition

Personally I would wipe out the entire partition and start from scratch. Have you tried that?

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have that option. The boss wants an image so I have to find a way.

Comment

Have you tried Ghost or Acronis? Ghost has issues with RAID, well the old version did. Not familiar with the newer release. Paragon may also be worth a look. What about using WDS but that will probably miss the hidden partition. Why the need for the Recovery Partition? Are you a System Builder supplying hardware with software preinstalled/semi configured?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No I work at a library and they want an exact image of the machine as it came out of the box. I tried to push for Acronis but I was told it has to be a non-commercial option. I have been able to backup this partition on Dell PC's using WinPE/Imagex. Could it be that I need to use the latest WAIK?

Comment

Why do I get the impression this is some "impossible to pass" test, with new conditions being added all the time?

IIRC all the hidden partition stuff is on the Dell DVD that comes with the servers, so why do they need it?

Is there a "It CANNOT be done" option?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sounds like the easy solution would be to boot with a linux liveCD and use dd to back up the disk. after that it can be wiped and restored by the same dd command from the image back onto the drive.
              if you need more detailed help, lemme know
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Ossian - Not a test, possibly an attempt to drive me insane though. I did find that on the Tools and Documentation dvd.

DYasny - That sounds promising. I will have to try that, probably tomorrow. I will post back the results.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Sorry but I am too lazy to look up the specs of this Server. Does it come with a RAID setup/controller? If it does then you are going to have problems finding a non commercial app to to a complex imaging process.

Why is it that the harder the task the numbnuts want a free solution.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, it has a PERC/6i.

Comment

DYasny, you are the Linux guy, what non commercial imaginging software do you suggest for this RAID Controllered Server?

Personally I would suggest take the HDD out of the Server and image it to another HDD and then fiddle aroung with it. I believe Acronis has a Trial Period version that you could use.
                      Last edited by biggles77; 9th April 2010, 16:54. Reason: I knew I spelt Controllered wrong. Fixed.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        DYasny, you are the Linux guy, what non commercial imaginging software do you suggest for this RAID Contronllered Server?
                        any linux liveCD (you can try clonezilla for easier use, but I prefer the manual way)

Just boot with that liveCD,
                        fdisk -l <-- check what drives you have and what partitions
                        find the local drive you wish to save (something like /dev/sda)
                        dd if=/dev/sda of=/image.img

if you want the partition only, not the entire drive, you'll need to use /dev/sda1(2,3.... whatever fdsik -l shows)

I've actually replaced an entire ghostcast setup with an ftp server and a scripted liveCD like this before. Used g4u for this, although clonezilla is more advanced and versatile these days
                        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I should have thought of it right away. Then answer is Clonezilla. Thanks to all who contributed to this fiasco.

Comment

Working...
                          X