Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLNA & Client (PC/xBox 360)

Hi,

So I finally purchased an LG N2R1 NAS which has DLNA capability ... as far as I know that can be used to allow my xBox 360 to access media but I've tried everything I know and can't make it work. My xBox CAN pick up a TVersity installation AOK.

My problem is I don't know which part or parts is/are failing (I strongly suspect it's the NAS DLNA config) ... anyone know how I can set DLNA up or test it (can a DLNA server be made to work on my Win 7 computer)?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: DLNA & Client (PC/xBox 360)

Don't know if any of these help:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
    But I presume you are wanting to use Windows 7 as a receiver not a sender?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Don't know if any of these help:
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
      But I presume you are wanting to use Windows 7 as a receiver not a sender

Sorry ... this one slipped off my radar

The current situation is:
      • I can watch videos on my xBox 360 from a TVersity installation on my PC
      • I can't watch videos on the PC from the NAS except via normal MS shares (truth is I don't know how).

So yeah I want to be able to receive videos on my PC via DLNA as a means of testing whether or not the NAS actually is working (streaming DLNA not by SMS share).

Hopefully that makes more sense

Kyu

Comment

From memory, the XBOX360 only supports WMV format videos while your PC will support a LOT more, depending on the installed CODECs. TVersity automatically detects the presence of the XBOX360 and transcodes the source video from whatever format it is in to WMV which it knows the XBOX360 will accept. TVersity also knows that your PC will play just about all the codecs so it simply serves the source video as-is to the PC.

Your NAS device most probably only supports streaming and not transcoding so it is trying to send, say, an AVI file to the XBOX360, which is not going to work.

I had the same issue with my 63" Samsung Plasma as it only accepts a small number of containers/codecs, so I tried TVersity but it consumed 100% of my server's process time, so I instead purchased the XTreamer, as it came highly reccommended and the distributor is local. For the $200 I spent on it, I dont understand why I waited so long to get one!

As a test, store a WMV video on the NAS then stream that to your XBOX360- this should show you that it is working. As for your PC not being able to watch videos unless they are from MS Shares, just shows that PCs are not DLNA compatible. However, as with TVersity, the only way to watch a video is to access the TVersity internal web server.

DLNA was built with the idea of linking home entertainment to the PC network, not to link PCs to other PCs.
        Last edited by JDMils; 17th June 2010, 05:41.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
          As a test, store a WMV video on the NAS then stream that to your XBOX360- this should show you that it is working.

OK Thx ... I will try that

Kyu

Comment

XBox 360s do now support most of the standard AVI codecs E.g. XVid, Divx etc. I have a similar setup but I have a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO rather than the LG box, it's DLNA feature works fine with the XBox.

This of course assumes that you have installed the latest updates on your XBox.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X