No Wireless when Win2003 turned on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Wireless when Win2003 turned on

Sorry if this is a totally newb question but this one has me and I need a fix. For a test machine I loaded Windows 2003 R2 64-bit on a Gateway quad core media center PC. For server roles I turned on IIS as I loaded SQL 2005 64bit.

I didn't know until I got home that my wife had intermittent wireless problems. Then in testing I turned the server on and off. Each time I login to 2003 server the wireless drops. I'm on FIOS and all of the local connections (cat5) work perfect regardless.

For TCPIP on the local connection I have it set to static and have the gateway set to .1 just like my other PCs on the network. Everything works perfectly except the wireless when I turn on the 2003 server. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: No Wireless when Win2003 turned on

Does Server 2003 have a wireless NIC installed in it?
    Any Event Viewer errors?
    Anything in Device Manager affected when you logon?
    Are you logging on locally or via RDP?

When does the wireless actually fail? When you turn Server 2003 on or when you logon to the Server. You mentioned one of each in paragraph 2 and 3. Would be helpful to know which one it actually is. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I thought I had my settings to email me if someone posted but I did not.

This has been difficult to work on because my wife has to have her wireless to work so I'm staying up late to check it out. As to your questions.

I haven't been able to get event viewe log (should have done that first).

Here is what I know so far:

This is a gateway sx2800
      From the specs it does not say it has wireless nic
      I can completely remove the cat5 cable from the network but STILL when I turn on the 2003 PC I suddenly lose all wireless connections. I looked in the BIOS and don't see any wireless network settings, etc.

I'm confused as ever at this point.
      Thx for any replies

Comment

Do you have a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router?
        Did you run DCPROMO on your Server?
        Post an IPCONFIG /ALL screen dump (do not paste into a Word document) from your wife's machine when the Server is ON and another when the Server is OFF (label which one is which).
        Do you have any other devices on the network?
        Do your neighbours have WAPs that are detected by your wife's machine?
        Does your wife's connection used your ISP or does she have a VPN to her work?
        Does your wife's machine have a proxy configured in her web browser setting?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had a LONG post and it got easier. As I thought about my question I continually found myself baffled by how in the world a PC could affect a network when it was not plugged in. As I researched further and cracked the case I found that this indeed did NOT have a wireless card in it. Anyway, I moved the PC to my bedroom and used logmein to get to it. Now there are no problems. The PC was putting off too much RF interference.

I'll look for some kind of RF blocker or take this machine back. I've never had this issue with a router and PC. I've even had routers sitting on top of PCs before.

Comment

Change the Power Supply.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have my wireless router sitting about 2 feet away from 2 servers and don't get any drop outs on them.

I'm with Biggles though swapp out the PSU or maybe even try putting tin foil under the router between it and the server. Its worth a bash surely lol. If it doens't work you can always wrap your chicken in it

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                I have my wireless router sitting about 2 feet away from 2 servers and don't get any drop outs on them.

I'm with Biggles though swapp out the PSU or maybe even try putting tin foil under the router between it and the server. Its worth a bash surely lol. If it doens't work you can always wrap your chicken in it
                Thanks for the comments by you guys. I am leaning towards returning it to Microcenter. I'm not sure if they will refuse to take it with the 2003 OS on it. I assume they will refurb it (again) and ghost the old OS back onto it. Changing the PSU is a thought but I reallyl don't want to put more money into this machine to use as a test server that my company isn't even paying for. After tax it was about $360. Do you guys think it is worth spending cash? The cheapest I can find the same PC for is about $500 but may could find a refurb again.

Comment

Strange Wireless Problem

I had a topic in the server 2003 forum but it has shown to be more of a hardware issue so I thought I would post here.

I purchased at Gateway SX2800 a week or so ago. I removed the Vista 64 OS and installed 2003 Standard 64 OS. I then installed SQL2005, etc...

The problem I found was that the wireless connectivity of my router was being knocked off everytime I turned on the 2003 server. I finally tested and found that this was happening even when the computer was NOT plugged into the network. The PC does not have a wireless card at all. It only has a gigab it lan card. This made no sense until I moved it into another room and plugged it into a cat5 I had strung across the house and it caused no problems.

This seemed to suggest that it was an issue of RF interferrence that was likely from the PSU.

I returned the PC last night and they had another unit so I picked it up. It already had a file corruption error and would not boot properly but that didn't matter so I loaded 2003. However, before I loaded 2003 I tested and the wireless worked fine with the PC turned on AND plugged into the network. After installing 2003 I found that after I installed the ethernet drivers that once AGAIN the wirelss started getting knocked out just from turning on the PC. I unplugged the cat5 and it is just as before. Everytime I boot the PC (don't login but just boot) it knocks the wireless out. I went a step further and went into the BIOS system setup and disabled all settings for the NIC. I tested and still have the same problem. My thought was that if I could get it to stop I would simply plug in a cheap USB Wireless device and use it that way but it didn't work.

My question is this, could the installation of the drivers I used cause some bizzare issue with the PC to make it start causing this issue? Any other thoughts on why this might be happening? I'm about to the point of returning it and getting something completely different but I hoped to at least come to a conclusion of exactly what is happening.

Thanks ahead of time for any comments.

Comment

Re: Strange Wireless Problem

I forgot to mention that my wireless was tested with 3 different laptops and all saw the same issue.

Comment

And how much does a power supply cost plus the time spent setting it back up again? Is the machine still under warranty? If so, log a fault about the power supply and get an RMA. If out of warranty, look at power suply prices or even Wullie's tinfoil solution but make sure you don't block the signal from the antenna.

If you do take the machine back to Microcenter, I would wipe Server 2003 if you have installed a personal or company copy on it. If Gateway are like most other manufacturers they will have a Recovery Partition on the HDD that will put it back to factory defaults.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I posted this thread up in the networking forum after returning the Gateway and getting another.

As I said in that topic, the new PC seemed fine as far as it not being a PSU issue. After I loaded 2003 and installed the lan nic drivers I came to the same exact problem. This is the strangest thing I've seen. 2 Gateways. Both tested to the point of unhooking ethernet and still causing wifi to drop.

Comment

In case anyone is confused, I have merged another thread (from a different Forum) that Jay had about this same problem and moved the merged threads into the Hardware Forum for want of a better location at this point in time.

I do not believe that any drivers will or can cause this issue unless you have a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC that you have just installed Server 2003 onto.

Swapping the computer over should have fixed any RF issue with the power supply UNLESS the second machine was a Gateway (which it is if I understand the post from the "new thread") and these power supplies have a common RF issue. Run the same test as with the last machine and see if it is an RF issue. If it is then you will need to try Wullie's tin foil trick or move the Wireless Router further away from the machine.

Unless you need it, try disabling the Fax/modem in the BIOS and see if that helps. My guess at this stage is with Windows Server installed the power supply may be using more juice due to the extra services that are running and because of this the RF issue becomes a problem.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            In case anyone is confused, I have merged another thread (from a different Forum) that Jay had about this same problem and moved the merged threads into the Hardware Forum for want of a better location at this point in time.

I do not believe that any drivers will or can cause this issue unless you have a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC that you have just installed Server 2003 onto.

Swapping the computer over should have fixed any RF issue with the power supply UNLESS the second machine was a Gateway (which it is if I understand the post from the "new thread") and these power supplies have a common RF issue. Run the same test as with the last machine and see if it is an RF issue. If it is then you will need to try Wullie's tin foil trick or move the Wireless Router further away from the machine.

Unless you need it, try disabling the Fax/modem in the BIOS and see if that helps. My guess at this stage is with Windows Server installed the power supply may be using more juice due to the extra services that are running and because of this the RF issue becomes a problem.
                            Thanks for merging the threads and for your response. Yes, they are indeed identical PCs. I will try to disable the Fax/modem to see if this helps. I can try the tin foil trick but I can say that I kinda hate the idea of someone walking into my office and seeing a tin foil shielded router...

I agree that it doesn't seem logical to be drivers but have to think that it is something to do with the 2003 install because I had the Gateway PC actually even closer to the router than it is now when I tested it with Vista and everyone was fine for an hour or more. When I had the first PC it was the same way. Wireless was OK until I installed 2003.

So, if turning off the fax/modem helps wouldn't it stand to reason that I may see these issues at a later time if the CPU starts getting taxed? At this point I'm leaning towards giving up on this PC doing what I need it to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jaypugh
                              kinda hate the idea of someone walking into my office and seeing a tin foil shielded router...
                              It isn't a tin foil shielded router, it is a funky new modern sculpture.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X