Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProLiant DL580 G2 output problems

Hello,
    I have a recently purchased DL580 G2, which will not produce monitor, mouse or keyboard output. The machine starts, and the green lights on the top left front are all there stating the drives, the memory etc are fine.

Anyone any idea why there is no output from the rear of the computer where all of the connectors are?

I have changed monitors, placed a PCI-X video card in a slot, changed the mouse, etc.

Nothing seems to wake up the computer except that everything runs as the front end shows.

No OS installed, new drives in the four slots, all U320, as the basic machine prefers.

No idea, whatsover. Cannot find anything relevant on the HP site.

Regards,
    Paul

Re: ProLiant DL580 G2 output problems

Sounds like a call to HP support is in order -- is it under warranty?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
      Unfortunately not on guarantee: this computer was one of four "refurbished" that were sitting in my local store in Ottawa.

They had one running, and I bought one of the others (basically because I wanted another DC for back up reasons, given the major problems I had when the boot drive failed on my sole DC recently). It was cheap enough, anyway!

The computer has a video port, which I have determined is attached to an ATi chip. I cannot produce any output from it. I have two PCI-X 128MB video cards: neither shows a response.

But, no mouse or keyboard either: I cannot understand by watching the lights at the front of the machine click over and run green, giving the all clear, why it gives no output: is it possible that this machine was altered to be solely controlled remotely?

If that is so, I should clear the BIOS (NVRAM?) which I had made my next choice anyway, since the computer is useless as it is.
      Last edited by Ossian; 16th December 2009, 18:58.

Comment

Resetting BIOS sounds good
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also check that all the power connectors, especially the motherboard ones, are properley seated. If the motherboard has a 24 pin ATX connector make sure that the Power Supply has a 24 pin and not a 20 pin connector.

Especially make sure the 4 pin 12V ATX motherboard connector is seated properly. If it isn't, the lights will flash and make some appropriate noises but it won't work. Do NOT confuse this connector with the 20/24 pin ATX one.

This should show the one I am refering to. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...s.html#atx12v4
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Took every part out and reinstalled. Removed PCI-X video. Pushed start button and up it came.

No reason discovered!

Windows Server 2008 Datacenter is installed. The only caveat is that I was told, and it was my responsibility to check, that this was a 64-bit machine. Four Xeon MP 3.0GHz processors that are, unfortunately X86.

This means that I cannot include this machine as a DC connected with my other DC which is running Windows 2008 Enterprise Server R2 X64.

I therefore need another machine to join it running the same OS. More expense!

Merry whatever to everyone! For this time of year I am glad that I live alone (except for multiple computers and thousands of books).

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul View Post
              This means that I cannot include this machine as a DC connected with my other DC which is running Windows 2008 Enterprise Server R2 X64. {...} More expense!
              Not necessarily ... You can always opt for a virtualized DC... IIRR, you can use VMWare Server or SUN's VirtualBox for this. Microsoft's virtualization products do not support 64bit guests on 32bit hosts (at least, for now).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X