Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackArmor NAS Advice

OK,

I'm after a bit of advice (any opinions welcome)

I sold my always-on-server because it was costing me 200 a year to run (not immediately relevant but it is a bit later) and decided to buy a NAS ... being an IT Pro I'm a bit of a sucker for technologies like RAID and so on.

I bought myself a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110 (4 x 500GB drives, RAID 0, 4 x USB) ... what I received was a Seagate BlackArmor NAS110 2TB (smaller, 2 USB, 1 x 2TB disk). Up until that point I had no idea that the NAS110 could refer to 2 distinct models but I've checked and it does appear to.

I raised an RMA to return it but for a number of reasons had to wait to return it. Over the weekend I chatted to friends who reckoned I was nuts, their logic was as follows:
    • The bottleneck for NAS's is the network so performance will (under most circumstances) be as good from a 1 drive NAs as a 4 drive RAID one.
    • RAID is more liable to fail as it has 4 disk, it's RAID 0 not RAID 5 so failure will take the entire RAID not just 1 disk.
    • A 4 disk RAID will be much higher in power usage terms will be much higher (which was why I got rid of my server and bought a NAS). I think the 4 drive NAS has a 200W PSU.

Apparently the units are much the same price so my choice is, return the 1 DRIVE unit delivered in error and get the one with 4 drives or keep the 1 drive unit? Does anyone have any advice or opinions on this (I'm currently edging towards the 1 drive unit)?

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 8th December 2009, 11:02.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: BlackArmor NAS Advice

Are you saying the 4 drive model has no other RAID level available than RAID0?

If so, the only thing I'd ever use it for would be to serve as a 2nd copy of something. I mean , drives fail very often, so how often would one out of 4 drives fail?

You'd have to create 4 volumes and put different things on different drives, but I doubt it would support that if it only supports RAID0.

Keep the 1 drive unit, buy a 2TB USB drive, and use it to back up the NAS!
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
      Keep the 1 drive unit, buy a 2TB USB drive, and use it to back up the NAS!
      Thanks Gepeto ... it went horribly wrong (started making chunk-a-chunk noises) but I did that.

Now I have an LG NAS.

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Your friends have a point, but RAID does offer some redundancy so I'd be loath to use a single drive alone. I wouldn't say that it would be much higher in power usage. If I recall correctly, the Sun x4540 storage array has 48 drives in it and runs off of a single 1500 watt power supply (and includes two six-core Opterons and a filthy amount of RAM ). I don't think you'll feel much financial hurt running 4 versus 1 hard drive.

Just grab a simple white box case that can handle 4 or so internal drives, a couple hundred watt power supply and whack OpenSolaris on it so you can use ZFS and provision NFS, CIFS and iSCSI LUNs off of the same machine. It handles RAID quite nicely and there's no need for a fancy RAID card (in fact, RAID cards defeat the purpose of ZFS's safety features). But I see you already bought something so never mind.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

sidenote: both of those links go to the same product (albeit a different shell) with the same manufacturer part number. Sounds like you were thinking of an old model, or they had the wrong description on their site when you ordered it. Closest thing on their site now is the 420/440 models.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X