X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDM event 500 on a RAID array

Hello

History:
    I am using a Dell Powervault 745n, running Windows 2003 Server R2 Standard Edition SP2. It contains 4 drives arranged as follows:

This server is used to store our data and functions as a file server. Backup software is also installed on this server.

The cause?
    A few days ago we had a power cut. The UPS kept the server up, though the attached tape drive lost power.

The following day the server went a little crazy. When clients tried to connect to shares on the server they received a message stating that there was not enough server storage to perform the action. I do not have the exact message, unfortunately. When this happened the following was logged in the System Event log:

Code:
    Log Type: System
    Source: Srv
    Type Of Event: Error
    Category: None
    EventID: 2020
    Account: None
    Computer: ORION
    Description: The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty.
    This event was logged 8 times, once per minute.

I closed our backup software, Arcserve 12, and the problem disappeared for 20mins. After 20mins, the server automatically rebooted.

The problem
    When it rebooted the following events were logged:

Code:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: LDM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 500
    Date:  02/12/2009
    Time:  14:57:05
    User:  N/A
    Description:
    Regenerating volume Volume1 C:

Description:
    Regenerating volume Raid1 E:

Description:
    Regenerating volume spanvol01 D:
    These three appear twice, followed by three events stating that the volumes have been regenerated.

I am not sure what caused the 2020 event to be logged. I have since kept an eye on the number of processes, handles, bytes used etc and looked for any evidence of memory pool leaks using poolmon.exe and pooltag.exe, but everything seems to working properly. Recording the processes and their memory consumption at regular intervals over an hour did not reveal any evidence of a memory leak, and the number of handles used by the processes seemed normal - averaging about 3000 for system, and 1,200 for svchost and csrss.exe, and much lower for the other processes. The number of handles did not increase during the monitoring period.

My question regards the LDM events.

I have only seen these events once before. They were logged after installing OS updates last July. Does anyone know what is actually happening to cause the events to be logged, please, or can anyone point me to documentation that explains this? I am not sure how 'serious' this is. I understand that the events are 'Information', but as they are logged so rarely, I am concerned that they may be symptomatic of a larger or developing problem.

If anyone can offer some help with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: LDM event 500 on a RAID array

It seems you may have had a dirty shutdown and the drives are resyncing. Have you run an FSUTIL query to see if you have dirty drives. This may not relate to your problem but you should still check the drive status.
    Do you have any anti virus installed on your File Server?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312362

Also, if you have images you want to share, please upload them to this site as I do not like to be hammered by Imageshit gambling adverts. Ta.

As a side issue, C drive is looking decidedly um, full!! This needs to be addressed fairly quickly since the system will crash when it runs out of room. The errors you are getting may even be related to the lack of free space of the system partition.
    Is the system up to date with all the latest Updates and Hotfixes?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: LDM event 500 on a RAID array

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      It seems you may have had a dirty shutdown and the drives are resyncing. Have you run an FSUTIL query to see if you have dirty drives. This may not relate to your problem but you should still check the drive status.
      Do you have any anti virus installed on your File Server?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312362
      Thanks. I have run the FSUTIL query and it reports that none of the three drives are dirty.

I do have anti-virus on the server, but it is Sophos. I had seen references to one of Symantec's products causing this and checked this out.

Also, if you have images you want to share, please upload them to this site as I do not like to be hammered by Imageshit gambling adverts. Ta.
      Sorry for that. I use the MVPS hosts file and never see these advertisements so I forget that those who do not, will see them. I will bear your suggestion in mind and upload images directly to the site in future.

As a side issue, C drive is looking decidedly um, full!! This needs to be addressed fairly quickly since the system will crash when it runs out of room. The errors you are getting may even be related to the lack of free space of the system partition.
      Is the system up to date with all the latest Updates and Hotfixes?
      Yes - that is a problem too. The system setup is controlled by an image. I have already re-installed the OS once to alleviate this problem - trouble is, a reinstall wipes everything so it really is an inconvenient process...

I am trying to negotiate the purchase of a new file server with the company Finance Dept. I warned them a few months ago that we would need to get a replacement not only because the system partition was running out of space but also because the data partition was running out of space too. I have used built-in system tools to compress files/folders that are not frequently used and have also run a third party cleaning utility to remove extraneous useless fluff from the drive.

Believe it or not, the only data on C: is the OS, Sophos and the Dell utilities. All other programs are installed on E:

Thanks for your suggestions.

[Edit]
      Yes - the system is completely up to date.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
      X