No announcement yet.

XP USB STATA mass storage device

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP USB STATA mass storage device

Problem: I have two usb stata mass storage drives (laptop drives) in cases. They work connected to some computers and not two specific computers I have. They have my service software on them.
    The XP install is new on teh computers
    The drive shows up in device manager sometimes.
    The drive does NOT show up in drive manager.
    A IDE drive connected to my USB adapter cable works just fine.

Based on what I know, some USB chips don't really support SATA drives.
    The motherboard doesn't have a sata cable or connector on the mobo. All I can assume is if the computer doesn't have sata support, the computer won't support the SATA drive at all.
    My laptop is all IDE but does work fine with the drive.
    BTY I've tried a powered usb card and a usb power supply. It isn't a power issue.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

specific computer e-machine W2646
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: XP USB STATA mass storage device

Have you checked disk management to see if they are being assigned a drive letter?

sometimes windows tries and assign drive letters that are mapped to network drives to your USB drives. The network drives will win the battle.

the only place to see this is in disk management.

Re: XP USB STATA mass storage device

Check the jumpers on the HDDs in the enclosures that they are set to MASTER. Have had this problem before where the USB drive was not properly detected due to the jumper setting not being set to MASTER.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015