• Show
Clear All

• Server extremely slow after Raid 5 Migration

Hi all

2 servers, identical hardware:

HP DL350 G5, 4 GB RAM, Windows 2003 Std, 2 SAS drives in Raid 1

Server 1 is a DC and File Server
    Server 2 is Exchange and SQL + Backup

I bought 2 additional drives, and did an online migration of both servers to Raid 5. Server 2 did it in a day, Server 1 took over twice as long.

After they both completed I also made 2 changes to the ACU settings: Enabled Physical Drive Write and changed the read/write ratio from default 25% read/75% write to 50%/50%.

They are the only changes I have made.

However, since then Server1 is unexplainably slow. It was slow like this while performing the RAID migration but now its finished, it's no better.

Task Manager shows the CPU as low% normally, nothing unusual there. In fact in no logs does it show the server actively working on anything. I checked Windows, HP Server Log, ACU logs.

I dont know what else to look at! Why is this server so slow after RAID 5, and enabling some performance boosting options on the Raid controller? Same server hardware on Server2 and that is running fine.

Ideas are appereciated.

Re: Server extremely slow after Raid 5 Migration

Just as an example, I'm running a defrag now on the drive and in 2 hrs it's on 3% with Defraggler.

Why has my server slowed down to such a crawl???

Comment

There's no such model DL350... Is it ML350 or DL360? Do you have by any chance its exact part number?
      What RAID controller do you have in both servers? Do they have any batteries for BBWC?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hehe, sorry, DL360 is right.

They both have P400i Raid controllers, not sure about the BBWC.

Comment

get the firmware and drivers updated, and if that doesn't help - call HP support.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

ALready latest firmware...besides, wouldnt explain why one server is fine whilst the other is not with identical hardware.

Thanks though, guess I'll have to call HP in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X