DVD Drive not responding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive not responding

guys, I bought a DL DVD drive about a month ago, and since I installed it; it has worked just fine, but it was recently when I needed to make a Dual Layer DVD, and when I tried, it gave me an error; so I proceed to download the driver from the manufacture, when I tried to install it, it actually tried to upgrade the firmware on the drive; well, since then the drive is not responding to the eject command or when I press on the button at the front of the drive. I tried to flash the drive again with the utility, but it says the drive is busy. I tried disabling it from Device Manger. Also, I tried rebooting the system. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system. All with the same results "not responding!"

could anyone give me some pointers.

Re: DVD Drive not responding

Look in Device Manager and see if the drive has a yellow exclamation mark beside it.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Look in Device Manager and see if the drive has a yellow exclamation mark beside it.
      no, it's showing up ok

Comment

Sounds like you've downloaded the firmware update from the MF's site, not the driver, and it fucked up the drive during installation (have you by any chance tried to stop the firmware update while it was running?).
        Anyway, to check that this is a driver issue (BTW, what OS are you using?), get one of those LiveCD medias and tart the computer with it. Try to see if its recognizes your DVD burner, and if you can burn with it.
        Let us know the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Sounds like the firmware update was unsuccessful. You might try a DOS bootdisk then use the flash utility (assuming it works under DOS). I don't trust any firmware flash through Windows.

(Sorry sorinso, didn't notice your post when I did mine. I would go with your advice first then mine)
          Last edited by aquadodo; 8th October 2009, 22:19. Reason: didn't notice post before mine

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Sounds like you've downloaded the firmware update from the MF's site, not the driver, and it fucked up the drive during installation (have you by any chance tried to stop the firmware update while it was running?).
            Anyway, to check that this is a driver issue (BTW, what OS are you using?), get one of those LiveCD medias and tart the computer with it. Try to see if its recognizes your DVD burner, and if you can burn with it.
            Let us know the outcome.

I'm using windows 7, and when I was flashing the drive, the power went off, so all the equipment restarted. so yes, the flashing never finished. I'm going to try booting off a live cd and see if it works. About to finish flashing, I'm going to try doing it under BartPE...

Comment

I booted off ubuntu live usb with the same results. DVD not responding.

Comment

Originally posted by miatech View Post
                I booted off ubuntu live usb with the same results. DVD not responding.
                I don't think there is any solution but to get a new one. You can try to run the update again, from DOS. If it won't work afterwards, try to replace in (being still in the warranty). Play it dumb, never mention "firmware update". Not nice, but might work...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X