Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Motherboard Or Power Supply?

Hi,

Yesterday my computer died during boot ... there was a "phzzt" (electrical) sound and then it stopped. I'm fairly confident it's the power supply and not the motherboard but not sure ... say about 90%!

My problem is, given that I have no spare PSU's of adequate power and that I don't want to put that PSU on another motherboard for fear of damaging it, is how can I be sure it's my Power Supply and not my motherboard?

Any ideas?

EDIT: And if, in your opinion, it is the PSU, any recommendations for a reasonably high power system running with a Intel core E6600, Gigabyte P5B (I think), 4Gb PC2-5300, 3 x 320GB SATA II drives 512Mb HD4380 (I think .. sorry this is all from memory) PCI-E, DVD rewriter?

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 5th October 2009, 09:21.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Dead Motherboard Or Power Supply?

You can get a PSU tester pretty cheaply e.g.:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

As far as particular requirements go, I've found the Motherboard manufacturer is a good starting point, but go for "named brand" PSU's anyway
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

easiest thing to do is to take the PC to a computer store, and ask to get it fixed. the store tech should replace the PSU and if that doesn't help - keep troubleshooting
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        You can get a PSU tester pretty cheaply e.g.:
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

As far as particular requirements go, I've found the Motherboard manufacturer is a good starting point, but go for "named brand" PSU's anyway
        Thanks for that ... although I need to make a quicker decision in this instance I think I'll buy one of those for future use

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
        easiest thing to do is to take the PC to a computer store, and ask to get it fixed. the store tech should replace the PSU and if that doesn't help - keep troubleshooting
        I'm sure you're right but with a history of building all my own PC's I'm somewhat loathe to take it to a shop and say, "Here, fix this" ... I'd prefer to find out what is wrong and fix it myself

Kyu

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
          I'm sure you're right but with a history of building all my own PC's I'm somewhat loathe to take it to a shop and say, "Here, fix this" ... I'd prefer to find out what is wrong and fix it myself
          Kyu
          I'm sure you can build and fix your own PC, but if you don't want to buy spare parts, and swap things around, having paid for some parts that aren't actually needed, a shop is the better idea - they have all the stuff handy, and will charge you only for the required part
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
            I'm sure you can build and fix your own PC, but if you don't want to buy spare parts, and swap things around, having paid for some parts that aren't actually needed, a shop is the better idea - they have all the stuff handy, and will charge you only for the required part
            Well my preferred replacement would have been this AOpen 880W on eBuyer which is very quiet and gets good reviews but yes there's the uncertainty. My local PC shop does a cheaper 550W unit for 40 (they reckon it has powered anything they've ever used it for) and will fit it for an extra 15. It's less power than I really wanted but (as you say) the advantage is that they'll do the figuring and won't charge me for what I don't need.

So yeah, whilst I'm sure you understand my concerns re PSU capability/quality, you're right and that's where I'm headed later today

Kyu

Comment

Just use the paper clip method to test your psu for power.
              It doesn't necessarily mean it will work when you plug the 12v power in and all your other bits, but its a good start, cos it it doesn't work at all, then there is your answer.

As regards a new psu, a 500w from a half-decent manufacturer would power than rig easily

Comment

Test the PSU yourself if you have a multi-meter handy.

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

Only problem i can see is if the PSU has failed and taken the mainboard and CPU with it.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                  Just use the paper clip method to test your psu for power.
                  It doesn't necessarily mean it will work when you plug the 12v power in and all your other bits, but its a good start, cos it it doesn't work at all, then there is your answer.
                  Now THAT is a truly useful thing. For a long time I couldn't get the idea that the power switch is attached to the motherboard which is powered by the PSU so (in my mind) the switch "tells" the motherboard which "tells" the PSU to power on the motherboard (huh?) and then someone simplified it by basically telling me that the switch connections on the motherboard simply form a direct link to the power on line on the PSU so no motherboard "intelligence" involved.

Anyway ... I looked up the paper clip method and wow! A truly useful way of testing a PSU so thanks for that

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                  As regards a new psu, a 500w from a half-decent manufacturer would power than rig easily
                  I took it into the shop and got it replaced with a CiT (ColoursIT?) 550W and hey presto it's working (thanks DYasny) ... he was a bit concerned with the CPU power lead which has a 4 pin plug one not 8 so he's kindly looking for a replacement (upgrade cost only) with the correct lead and slightly more power (makes mental note to remind him I need at least 3 SATA power leads).

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Test the PSU yourself if you have a multi-meter handy.

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

Only problem i can see is if the PSU has failed and taken the mainboard and CPU with it.
                  Thanks for that link, again useful (I do have a couple of multimeters), I'll try that out on a couple of spare older PSU's I have hanging around (unfortunately not the right type for my PC).

As you can see above my PC motherboard & CPU are fine

Kyu

Comment

Aaah... you have a mobo which also requires a 8-pin power molex as well as the 20/24 pin?
                    I had an Abit board like that and finding a psu for it was a pain in the a$$.
                    However, glad you got it sorted out.

wullieb1's link to the psu test is the step on from mine, 'IF' you have a multimeter, which you do, so next time, you know what to do.

Kudos all round.

Comment

Shouldn't be a pain at all to find a PSU with 24 pin and 8 pin connections. Look at Corsair PSUs for example.
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X