Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pweredge 830 RAID

Hi guys

I have my client's Dell Poweredge 830 server, wanting to see if we can get a price to get it Raid 5'ed and compare to getting a new server.

It came with a single 250GB SATA hard drive.

On various spec sheets I have seen it says it has integrated Raid support, I can confirm this is 100% not the case.

Following Dell's own spec sheet here: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global.../830_specs.pdf it says the appropriate card is the PERC/4SC.

Only problem is, that card is a SCSI U320 card...the server only has 2 PCI-E, 2 PCI-X and 1 PCI slots. No SCSI.

Dell Support are friggin useless...

What card can I get for this server to enable SATA Raid 5?

Re: Pweredge 830 RAID

Speak to sales -- you will get quicker answers

Dell is currently using PERC/6i which supports SATA (near-SAS) drives but I dont know how it will fit with your server (and don't really want to dismember one of mine to see )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I feel kind of silly now, according to this:

http://www.mohca.gov.bt/~susumu/othe...n/ug/chap1.htm

Its a PCI host interface, so I'm good.

Can you tell me what type of cable I would need to connect this card to 3 SCSI Hard drives? Im not very good with SCSI interfaces

I think its the IDE-like one with 1 SCSI interface to connect to the card and multiple terminations on one ribbon for the Hard drive ends?

Link to Dell's product page:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...10341#Overview

Comment

1. pe830 is ancient
        2. the PERC4SC is not sold anymore (afaik), and no modern disk will work with it
        3. PERC4SC does come integrated on some Dell server motherboards, but not all. since the pe830 is a low end server, I doubt it would have a raid controller integrated. Its probably optional
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Yes, it is ancient.

By the time added the cost of the PERC4SC (they do still sell them) and the cost of the hard drives, I can get the HP QC ML115 G5 with Raid 5 for around the same price.

Which is what I have done!

Gracias!

Comment

or a new 10g Dell machine - they tend to be cheaper than HP

Comment

I have actually just become a Dell Partner, up until now (like, 2 days ago) I have not really ever priced up Dell spec hardware.

We'll see how they do compared to my current preferred HP stuff...

In theory I could but a 3rd party Sata Raid card for this right? If I can it may still be worth using, considering the only thing really letting it down for smb use is the cost of getting RAID enabled on it.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
                I have actually just become a Dell Partner, up until now (like, 2 days ago) I have not really ever priced up Dell spec hardware.
                congrats

In theory I could but a 3rd party Sata Raid card for this right?
                in theory. but nobody promised it will work

If I can it may still be worth using, considering the only thing really letting it down for smb use is the cost of getting RAID enabled on it.
                SMB or not, an ancient server, out of warranty and pretty much worn out, is not something I'd install anywhere, SMB or not.
                A brand new PE T105 is very cheap, and pretty much perfect for SMB, only it comes with a warranty, unlike the 8g servers

Comment

Thank you, I will definately be considering these options for my client (s)!

Comment

np and don't hesitate to call Dell support, most of the server support guys are very very good

Comment

dell partnership is a great option - at even a base level, you get around 30% off list price, depending on the products.
                      you also get a dedicated internal sales rep, and technical contacts.

we had a guy come out recently and just talk to us for a,most 2 hours about hte PS4K, PS6K, and an EMC based san and help us decide where which would fit best for our own purposes, and for specific client requirements. included talking abiut how to size and things like that.
                      2 days laster we had a guy come and tell us about all the models, and the differences between the 10 and 11g products, how we push things like latitudes to clients over inspirions or vostros, etc.

if you have deals worth >20K, then the discounts really start flooding in..we just did an order recently, and the two E6500 laptops, with docking stations, were discounted almost 50%, off our already discnted price. (as an example)

they'll often be able to source you older hardware if you need it.. i got a perc4 card for a client recently (I think it was a 4, I'll check) through the channel.
                      Last edited by tehcamel; 1st October 2009, 23:41.
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X