PC clicking noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC clicking noise

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with my 2 year old PC that creates a clicking noise only twice for a short while when first switched on. It cannot be the hard drive as the noise still occurs with the hard drive remove. I cannot see how it can be the cooling fan as the noise never occurs after the PC boots up. There do not appear to be any other problems with the PC. Is there a relay somewhere to cause such a noise ?

Thanks

Re: PC clicking noise

Probably something in the power supply if you are sure it is NOT the hard drive

Try borrowing a PSU and seeing if it stops
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To be 100% sure it's not the fan try booting the machine without the cooling fans connected as well. This is perfectly safe for a short test.

Most PCs do a fan self test during POST which is far in excess of what the fan will do under normal operating conditions, so it's worth trying this to rule it out. I'd be leaning towards it being the PSU at fault though.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I will look into it all

Comment

Working...
        X