Dell MD1000 not seeing new drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell MD1000 not seeing new drives

Have a Dell PowerVault MD1000 that has 5 drives and has been working for some time. I installed new SAS 400GB drives to fill up the drive bays
    but it seems server administrator does not see the new physical disks. How I hooked up the Powervault is the one side is on a 5E controller off
    of one port and I cabled up the other port on the controller to the other side of the Powervault, mode switch is in split mode. Looks like the activity lights on the drives are solid, not blinking. Let it go over the weekend and now it's Monday and still same thing. Am I doing something wrong?

Do I need to boot into the adaptewr BIOS?

Re: Dell MD1000 not seeing new drives

Have you created configured the disks and host mappings in the Modular Disk Storage Manager tool?

Do you have support? If so, you should probably call Dell for assistance.

Comment

Did the disk come from Dell? From memory, a solid activity indicator means that the disk you've installed isn't verified by Dell for operation with the RAID controller, and even if it works, it will cause warnings to be logged that will either void your maintenance contract or cause them not to honour it while those disks are installed.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am checking into the part # of the drives. @nd person who has said this (one on another forum).

"Have you created configured the disks and host mappings in the Modular Disk Storage Manager tool?"
        ^
        Is this a BIOS level tool or OS level tool? So obviously the anwer is no, I just plugged the drives in. Configuration is split mode, one RAID controller in one host (5E controller) and each external port cabled to each bus.

Thank you for answering!

Comment

Well evidently DOMSA is the way to manage the MD1000 (as opposed to the MD3000). Here's the documentation:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...S%20MD1xxx.pdf

Comment

What is the latest version of OpenManage ( is it 6.1 )? Tried downloading the 6.1 tools and such and downloads never start. Just goes nowhere. Know where I can download the latest?

But these are not Dell branded drives. There was a purchasing mess up and we have Seagate Cheetah NS ST3400755SS 400GB SAS drives. I had someone buy the caddies and I put them together. Looking more and more like I can't use these drives. It would be great if I could firmware-update the drives so they work. Otherwise they will get thrown into a box somewhere.

...alan

Comment

Yes, I believe 6.1 is the latest version of DOMSA. The following link has a list of supported drives but I don't know how current it is:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...portMatrix.pdf

Try the following link for downloading DOMSA:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=324800

Comment

Even if the drives do work, I would not advise that you use drives not supplied by Dell - they will refuse to support any system you have running non-verified drives.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by araczek View Post
                  Have a Dell PowerVault MD1000 that has 5 drives and has been working for some time. I installed new SAS 400GB drives to fill up the drive bays
                  have you kept it up to date?
                  the MD controllers, the SAS controllers and the disk firmware all have to be updated

but it seems server administrator does not see the new physical disks.
                  is OMSA the latest version?
                  are the disks from Dell, or 3rd party?

How I hooked up the Powervault is the one side is on a 5E controller off
                  of one port and I cabled up the other port on the controller to the other side of the Powervault
                  MD1000 doesn't provide multipathing - only clustering and split mode.

mode switch is in split mode.
                  that means the backplane is split. do you know how exactly it is split?

Looks like the activity lights on the drives are solid, not blinking. Let it go over the weekend and now it's Monday and still same thing. Am I doing something wrong?
                  call Dell support.

Do I need to boot into the adaptewr BIOS?
                  no.

if your drives are unsupported, it is quite possible that your problem lies there.
                  try to get the entire configuration up to date, and verify the update versions with dell support.
                  after you're done updating, verify the cabling with them as well
                  after that, try to do a swaptest - take a working drive and move it around the MD, making sure a good drive is detected on every slot.

btw, in OMSA, when you use split mode, the added drives should appear under the second SAS channel, if everything is cabled up correctly of course
                  Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                  X