Boot-up Sequence Re-arranged after plugging in USB Sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot-up Sequence Re-arranged after plugging in USB Sticks

As this post concerns my ASUS K8V SE Delux m/b , this post may really belong in the ASUS Forums but I post it here in case the symptoms I'm about to describe are of a general nature to m/b's.

I have the m/b described above with XP Pro SP3 installed . There are two SATA H/D's and 2 dvd drives powered from this board.

XP is installed on h/d1 and I have the Boot Sequence set to look at , first the DVD drive then h/d1.

The PC boots normally into XP with this setup but , if , at any time after the PC is up and running , I insert a USB drive into the USB port , then , on the next re-boot , I get a "hang" as this USB drive has been moved in the Boot Sequence to the first position and the machine , obviously not finding XP there, "hangs" . Once I enter the Boot Section and re-position the drives to their previous positions , everything is again OK.

Is this re-arrangement of the Boot Sequence normal with use of USB drives or , indeed , any external drive .

Is there a way to prevent this ?

Re: Boot-up Sequence Re-arranged after plugging in USB Sticks

Don't know the board but there should be a setting in the BIOS so you can disable booting from a USB device.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That board's pretty old, may not have that. Re-ordering the BIOS boot sequence is completely normal in cases like that.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is? Not once have I ever seen a BIOS that changed its boot order settings if a USB storage device was plugged in... that could be viewed as a security flaw (albeit not an especially major one, but still).
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          It is? Not once have I ever seen a BIOS that changed its boot order settings if a USB storage device was plugged in... that could be viewed as a security flaw (albeit not an especially major one, but still).
          Let me open up at least 2 of my workstations and I will provide the M/B make and models. One of them has a Giga-byte board. The other is an ASUS (I think).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            That board's pretty old, may not have that. Re-ordering the BIOS boot sequence is completely normal in cases like that.
            The board is at least 5 yrs old and I haven't upgraded the BIOS since I bought it , so it may be due to its age .

Now that you've mentioned that point , I have a lenovo laptop which has a different m/b of course but its much more recent than the ASUS desktop board and I don't have any similar problems with re-ordering of Boot-up Sequence with that when I plug in USB drives.

FWITSW , I have contacted ASUS directly on this but they require m/b details which will involve opening up the desktop case and fooling around with the usual "cats cradle" of wires all of which are under a table ....etc - (you're all very familiar with that story I'm sure !!)

I'll get around to it sometime - meanwhile thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

What details do they need other than the model and BIOS version? Both of which are displayed on the screen...
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                What details do they need other than the model and BIOS version? Both of which are displayed on the screen...
                They want to know the board s/n which , as I've long since discarded the original packaging , can only be ascertained by actually inspecting the board. This means delving into the case.

Comment

Working...
                X