Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g

Hard disk type : Seagate SATA.
    Model Number : ST3160215AS
    Serial Number : 6RA1J7H0
    Firmware Revision : 3.AAD

Mother Borad : Intel 945 GCCR

My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk going to fail? If yes, how to transfer my data to a new hard disk easily?

Complete description of the issue :

1.I have experienced boot up issue with my PC 2 days back. My PC not even boot into safe mode also.I got the following blue screen errors on successive restart of PC .

A. 0x00000050 ( 0xC374037F, 0x00000000, 0x804FBA19, 0X00000000 )
    B. STOP : C0000135 ( Unable to locate component )
    c. 0x0000007E ( 0XC0000006, 0X80698C12, 0XF79896E4, 0XF79893E0 )

2. I have removed and replaced the hard disk ( several times ). I can boot into windows now. But,one of the above Blue sreen errors is coming all of sudden while working on PC. It is happening independent of the application I am using.

3. And the following messages are coming at the XP welcome screen and while working on the PC.

A.C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\netloc.wlt has corrupted and unreadable. Perform CKDSK.
    B.C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\APPFCONT.DAT has corrupted and unreadable. Perform CKDSK.
    C.C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\idsflt.cfg.bck has corrupted and unreadable. Perform CKDSK.
    D.Cagefile.sys has corrupted and unreadable. Perform CKDSK.

4.I have performed CHKDSK on all local drives exept local drive C. CHKDSK giving a message that " can not directly access C drive ".

5.I have performed virus scan with the following software and no virus has found.
    Panda Internet Security, Malware Bytes, Spybot, TrendMicro Housecall.

6.Performed Seagate's ( my hard disk is a seagate hard disk ) SeaTools hard disk tests.
    Short DST : Pass
    Long DST : Fail

HDtune software test : Pass

HijackThis Log is attached.

Thank you for spending your valuable time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bspkumar; 14th September 2009, 07:30.

Re: My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard di

Hi,

If the hard drive has failed the Seagate diagnostics then it is failing.
    It is most likely that there are surface errors on part of the disk and that is why certain files are unreadable.

Personally I would look to clone the drive to a new hard disk.
    There are lots of programs that do this like Symantec Ghost, Acronis, etc.
    A good free program that I use is ghost4unix.

Comment

Re: My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard di

Thank you, I have already downloaded ghost and Acronis. I will try them today.

Comment

Didn't realise either was downloadable -- I hope you mean "I bought legal copies of them"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Didn't realise either was downloadable -- I hope you mean "I bought legal copies of them"
          Dunno about Ghost, but Acronis TrueImage Home does have a free trial version.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

The program ghost4unix is open source and free to download.
            Symantec Ghost and Acronis would need to be purchased unless using a trial version as mentioned earlier.

Comment

Cloning the drive should work as a last resort, but remember that you'll also be cloning any corruption that exists. To get your data back, I'd really be looking to restore from a backup once a new disk is installed.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have just reinstalled XP. I am not getting any errors now. I think it is ok to clone the disk now.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X