No announcement yet.

Supermicro servers - Anyone knows ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermicro servers - Anyone knows ?

I was offered to buy Supermicro servers.
    Does anyone know this company ?
    Can anyone say if they can be compared to Dell and HP ?

Last edited by Ossian; 10th September 2009, 13:03. Reason: Link removed

Re: Supermicro servers - Anyone knows ?

Live link removed to avoid allegations of spamming...

The fact that you ask if anyone knows this company is a good clue to the answer -- just about everyone has heard of Dell and HP servers, but your one seems to be an unknown

Depending on the purpose you want to put them to, they may be a viable alternative, but IMHO stick with a known brand to get the ongoing support you will need in a business environment
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I've heard of SuperMicro servers and have looked into them myself. I don't believe they're some slipshod bargain basement nonesense, but you won't get the same level of hardware support that you would for a Dell or HP. I have no first hand experience with them, but word on the 'net seems to be that they're fine for low-cost needs. Some of their storage server enclosures look awesome.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

SuperMicro are really more involved with the manufacture of server cases and to a lesser extent, motherboards, rather than entire servers. Given the prices I've seen for them I would much rather go to Dell.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

with SM you have a bit more choice with your hardware, but they are far from being a real brandname server vendor. I refer to their systems as a DIY brand.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+