Corporate Wireless AP ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate Wireless AP ?

Since I'm thoroughly enjoying overhauling everytihng at the moment and spending the bosse's money, we thought we'd look at some new APs as well.

We currently have a very flaky and tbh, crap, Linksys wag54g. This is a gatewayt, and we don't need an ADSL gateway. We just need an accesspoint that does Wireless B and G, and potentially N.

Ideally, we want the sort of device where we can have 2, 1 at each end of the building, and they can roam between seamlessly.

Any suggestions, including costs ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Corporate Wireless AP ?

What features do you need?

VLAN support? RADIUS auth? PoE?

Personally, I like the 3Com 7760.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

mainly stable, and the ability for it to seamlessly transfer from one end to the other without them needing to re-authenticate with the other AP.
      doesn't need vlan stuff, but does need WPA or better..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi,

I was going to suggest Cisco Aironet in general but at the moment I want to slim it down to 1231G model due to a problem I am having with the next model up (1240 AG).

We have 1231G in here and it supports most of the requirements you mention.
        It can be a bit pricey though: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...97588372450790
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I don't have the model number but Victorian Education are rolling out a lot (7,000+ ) Cisco Aironet APs that have both G and N. They look like a nice unit especially with the dual channel and the 300mbps 11n.

If you are spending, why get stuck with slow 11g rubbish for the next 3 years?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you want to be the hero and not spend lots of money, might I suggest dropping DD-WRT onto the LinkSys? It can do an amazing array of tricks and saved my bacon when a completely useless WAP55g couldn't do what I wanted it to (like, oh... give out DHCP leases??). If you want to have a repeater, DD-WRT can do that like a charm. All in all I'm very impressed with it especially since it further fuels my hatred for LinkSys.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

We use Sonicwall SonicPoints with our 4060.

Do the job we need them to do.

Comment

We're using a Netgear Prosafe WG302 in the office, does the job fine doing DHCP passthrough from the DC and 802.1x authentication.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've used the WG302s in the past and they're solid performers. Due to a couple of quirks in the firmware though I tend to buy from other manufacturers if I'm speccing a new system - I don't rush to replace them if they're already there though.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X