Sata as slave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sata as slave?

Hi i have an HP PC. I bought a new sata HDD. And i want to make it slave. How do i do it? DO i just plug it in to the SATA3 slot. or do i have to configure it in bios.Thanks
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Sata as slave?

Assuming your computer is already booting off another drive, you shouldnt need to do anything except plug it in and boot up

Should there be any problems, your BIOS will allow you to set which drive boots first
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The terms "master" and "slave" don't really apply to SATA drives - they are a legacy of the PATA drive. I assume you mean, as Ossian says, that you just want to add this drive as a data drive to your system but continue booting the OS from the existing drive?

You will need to check your BIOS settings to ensure that RAID is off (Most likely it is, but always worth checking before plugging something new in!) and that your mptherboard supports JBOD SATA drives (Just a Bunch of Disks). Again, most do, but personally I prefer research over the suck it and see approach where possible.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Alrighty.. Thanks A bunch guys...
        Ronuel
        MCP

Comment

Flipping Heck -- nearly 6 months and the drive not installed yet?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No..I've just been busy Sir..Actually before the replies..I already installed the HD.. Just wanted to Thanks these guys..
            Ronuel
            MCP

Comment

Originally posted by NonoRonuel View Post
              No..I've just been busy Sir..Actually before the replies..I already installed the HD.. Just wanted to Thanks these guys..
              Your response is appreciate NonoRonuel, even after 6 months and receiving your Thanks is even more appreciated. Pleased it is all working well.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X