No announcement yet.

Hp laptop Graphics Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hp laptop Graphics Problem

Hey Guys

I have a HP Pavillion dv9700 (service tag dv9720us) laptop, It was not included in the recall for the graphics problem that HP had with some laptops. Does anyone know if something that can be done short of replacing motherboard. The problem is the same as recalled units. The screen will blank out. Then the only way to shut it down is pull all power. And then if you try to restart the computer comes on the turn itself right off, then it will come on then off it will do this over and over again untill the power is pulled. You can keep pulling power and sometime it will start up and work fine for a while then blanks out starts the on, off.

Help if you can

Re: Hp laptop

What did HP Support say when you contacted them?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

As already pointed out your first point of call is with HP assuming you have a warranty for the device. If this is postively a hardware fault then you have no option but to replace the mobo.

And all moved to hardware forum....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Hp laptop Graphics Problem

Have you tried upgrading the firmware of the Graphics card?
          Also, what OS are you running?

My laptop (HP Pavilion dv 9520tx) used to KINDA do that when I was running Vista Business, it would work fine then randomly every hour or two, the screen would flick on and off several times really quickly, then off for 5 secs and back on, then vista would report:
          "The Display Driver stopped working and restarted"

When I finally got around to upgrading the driver for the nVidia card, it never happened again..

Daniel John
          A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
          ************************************************** **********************

Re: Hp laptop Graphics Problem

Here is a link from a HP forum indicating a problem similar to yours.

As you'll see the indications are that the problem is caused by the Nvidia Card and looks quite common.
            There are a few interesting observations about bad cable management inside the case as well but as already suggested I would contact HP first before going down that route.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR