Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Server will not power on

Hi all,

I have an IBM xSeries 226, Machine Type 8648-2BU. It has two 514W power supplies, dual XEON processors, 3GB RAM, and a few SCSI HDDs.

I used to have this at my house just sitting around, not doing much of anything. But it worked fine. Unplugged it and brought it in to use at work. It has sat around for the last few months while I awaited time to play with it. Now's the time.

So I plugged it in (both PS's) and pressed ON! Nothing. The LEDs on both power supplies light up, as does the Power LED on the front. The three internal fans all kick on (anemically) for a split second then die...

I am getting nothing: no beeps, no codes, no video, nothing...

I've tried using only one PS or the other. No dice.

I've tried pulling one PS at a time and powering on. No dice, either.

I've checked the cables and they all seem fine.

HELP! I need this thing! Thanks!

Chris

PS. It's not under warranty, and in a non-profit organization money's tight. So I can't arbitrarily go around buying random parts to try to fix through trial and error. And I've found nothing helpful in the repair guide...

Re: IBM Server will not power on

A dead machine with no beeps could mean the CPU is bad. The CPU is the first thing checked during post and if it's bad there usually are no beep codes. Try reseating the CPU. While you're at it, try reseating the memory, video card (unless it's integrated), try disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drives, check all cables and connections for a good seat, etc.

Comment

I'm praying all to hell that it's not the system board. I reseated everything so far and have even pulled the CMOS battery... I have two processors in this thing, but it only came with one originally. I will pull the second one now (I installed this over a year ago) and will let you know what happens...

Thanks!

Chris
      Last edited by WorldBuilder; 19th August 2009, 21:21.

Comment

Nope, no go... Pulled the 2nd proc and added VRM and nothing changed. Any other thoughts, please? Thanks for the help!

Chris

Comment

Try taking out the CPU's, memory, disconnecting the hard drives, etc. all at once and see if the symptoms change. Then put them back one at a time to see if anything changes. Also, see if you can see or smell any burnt components.

Comment

I've learnt from bitter experience that almost any component can cause failures like this. As Joeqwerty said, strip it right down till you have nothing connected but the PSU, motherboard, one CPU/VRM pair, and the on/off switch. This includes keyboards, mice etc, it is not unknown for a shorted wire in a peripheral to cause a No POST on a motherboard. If you get anywhere with it stripped that far back add components in one at a time until you find the culprit.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Have you done a static discharge? Iv had this before on a very old IBM eServer that was completely dead bar one red light near one of the DIMM's on the mobo. I took every component out and reseated them one by one. I gave it a static discharge as well and eventually it came back up. If you do manage to get any beeps at all all beep codes are on IBM's website.

Comment

This problem comes because of Power cage. Ypu have to replaced the power cage then issue will resolved

pls give reputation point if your satisfied with solution

Comment

Hi, I have had this problem with an IBM X236 server, where the power cage was faulty and caused the server to appear dead. The power cage I purchased wasn't too expensive either, about 30 from a local supplier.

Comment

No need to purchase....!

If your server in warranty period. you need to log a call for this server, then IBM Engineer will replaced this power cage.

check with IBM support for warranty on there toll free. only system type & serial num keep with you while calling.

pls give reputation point if your satisfied with solution
                    Last edited by biggles77; 25th September 2009, 12:57. Reason: *warranty (remove excessive blank lines)

Comment

The first post states the server is not under warranty.

Comment

I believe the fru for the power cage is 24R2560.
                        There is one currently on ebay for $360 (a lot more than i paid for my x236 power cage).

Comment

yes this FRU num matched with IBM Manual of this server. For purchase IBM business partner can helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X