Reset BIOS Password on Dell Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset BIOS Password on Dell Laptop

I recently purchased a Dell C840 laptop. This laptop was originally purchased from a corporate environment and the user at that time enabled the administrator password feature in the BIOS. Without this password the configure setup is disabled, which means that the boot order can not be modified. I purchased and changed out the CMOS battery with a brand new one, hoping that by doing this it would reset the chip containing the password information. This did not solve the issue. While I have experienced no limitations on operating the laptop, I would like to reset the password. Is there a painless way to do this? I have zero experience dealing with the BIOS. Thanks.

Re: Reset Admin Password on WinXP pro SP3

Is this model one of Dell's Latitude range?

Maybe give this a try - I can't give any indication as to how safe the program they refer to is though, so usual precautions apply.

That page was the first result I got from Google... what results did you get? What did Dell say when you called them?

Edit: Also, your thread title doesn't really describe the problem you have - you are looking to reset the BIOS password, not your Windows password.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 27th July 2009, 01:59.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is a Latitude C840. Yes, I want to reset the Admin password in BIOS. I was talking with my brother-in-law, who is one of the IT guys for a local city government, and he was saying I had to unplug the J3 jumper at the MBoard, wait 5 sec. then plug back in again. Naturally I didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about. I've just been searching the Net for information. I sent a request for information to Dell but haven't heard from them yet. This C840 is what, a 2004 model? I'm not sure if they would even bother to help...I haven't had much luck with them in the past.

Comment

From my limited dealings with these laptops your best bet is to call Dell and get the master password for the machine from them.

You will also need to provide them with proof of purchase.

They also don't have jumpers the same as desktop systems do. Again as far as i know it is stored on a chip on the motherboard somewhere.

Comment

Correct. Dell techs will only walk you through the correct steps if you can prove ownership and if the steps even exist. Have you tried contacting the seller and see if they can help you?
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Reset BIOS Password on Dell Laptop

Thread moved to a more appropriate Forum and title changed to better reflect the problem.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've had to do this before. Call up Dell tech support and assuming you can provide proof of ownership then they'll give you the reset code based on what's on the screen when you try to login to the BIOS.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the information, I will try again with Dell. My only concern is trying to prove ownership, this was an ebay purchase. I have a copy of the original listing and invoice, hopefully that will suffice.

Comment

Moved to hardware forum
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Friend
                    Good luck, Dell laptops incorporate a special separate security chip to prevent people from bypassing bios set up password. the chip is not affected by the cmos being reset or cmos clearing programs. your best bet is to contact dell.
                    Thank You for sharing your thread...

Comment

Working...
                    X