Lightning struck computer, trying to rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning struck computer, trying to rebuild

We had a lightning strike that we believe traveled through the AT&T u-verse receivers and hit our computer through the Ethernet cable. Let me explain what I have tested from the computer so far.

Computer boots, perfectly fine. The Internet will not work through the onboard network card. So I figured why not try to use a wireless network card through USB. Once you plug it in, the computer shuts down. So does that mean it's a power supply issue?

I went out and bought a new power supply and a network card. It worked or a whole 10 minutes and then shut down. So I have decided to rebuild it. I have a motherboard, processor, and ram new in the
    box.

Will I be okay to use the other parts, such as power supply, hard drive, and graphics card?

Thanks!

-Landon

Re: Lightning struck computer, trying to rebuild

It's hard to say, but I would assume that since you're essentially starting from scratch it should be okay. My assumption would be that something on the MoBo has some issues now. The new PSU should be fine and I can't image that the hard drive and GFX card would be part of the problem. The two most suspicious parts are the PSU and the MoBo... and you've removed them from the equation.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

What do you think about using the old PSU?

Comment

I'd avoid the old PSU. You could test it if you're electrically inclined, but even that might not show all of the possible faults with it. I suppose you could put all the new equipment in but use the old PSU... but that could be dangerous to the new MoBo. I don't think salvaging a possibly $20 PSU is worth the risk of frying a new motherboard.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Well the PSU in it is $100.. So I'm trying to avoid it haha. But I guess I could just try out the new parts with the old PSU and of something breaks
          o have 15 days to return them for new ones : )

Comment

I wouldn't do that personally. If the PSU is damaged there might be a good chance it'll damage the rest of them and not necessarily in the short run.
            I would go for a new PSU and check if anything else has been spared instead.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X