Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green dashed lines on screen

Hi Folks

A friend of mine has a Dell XPS laptop. Recently it started generating a BSOD at startup. I'm having a look at it and would like some opinions on what may be causing this:

These dashed vertical lines are visible during POST and when Vista is loading. After Windows starts the screen looks normal.

Is this a screen problem do you think? I've only just got it and am still running the basic checks before I explore driver issues etc.

I'm not hot on hardware, so any thoughts about this will be welcomed.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Green dashed lines on screen

Looks like a graphics card issue.

Is the machine still under warranty??

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping someone might say that makes life a lot easier.

Would you believe that the warranty ran out two weeks before these problems started?

Anyway, the OS has been reinstalled and I'm gradually applying the MS updates. No BSOD so far.

When the machine is secure I'll look at the drivers for the card. It's an nVidea GeForce Go 7950 GTX. There is an update available for it from Microsoft Update, but I'll see about running some diagnostics before I apply that.

Cheers!

Comment

Don't forget about the Roll Back Driver button in the Display Adapter Properties in Device Manager.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Don't forget about the Roll Back Driver button in the Display Adapter Properties in Device Manager.
          Thanks - that is not an available option as the OS has been reinstalled. It is a strange situation - I'm sure that the BSOD is caused by the graphic driver as when the BSOD started, that is when the screen corruption during POST also first appeared.

But - surely the driver is not loaded until after Windows begins loading?

Unfortunately, the owner was unable to get the BSOD details because the option to automatically restart after a system crash was checked. Since reinstalling, the screen corruption persists during POST but the BSOD has not yet re-appeared.

Comment

Like Wullieb1 said, I think it's a hardware issue rather than drivers. .
            Same or similar issue here: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t25945.html
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Ah - I mis-read the post...

Thanks for that - looks like a new card is required

Comment

The XPS laptops were nortorious for graphic card problems in the early days.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...raphics+issues

Comment

Yes - thanks for that. I was going to buy a high-end XPS machine last year until I researched them and discovered these problems. Weird, because we've used office Dells for years and they have been extremely reliable and durable.

The BSOD is definitely related to the graphics card. As soon as I update the driver and reboot, it happens and the problem file listed is a nVidia driver file. This is using both the latest driver and one released last year.

I've spoken to the owner about it and he's peeved. He's only had it for just over a year.

Comment

Hopefully they've taken out the extended warranty.

Comment

Dell rang him a couple of weeks before the warranty was due to expire and asked if wanted to extend it. He said no He's kicking himself now.

Comment

Ouch.

He might be lucky and get a free board out of them if he whines enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X