Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Display after Putting quad card

Ok here's a weird problem.

We've received a new batch of small form factors from HP. the new DC7900 SFF to be exact with the the Core 2 Quad. The quad card in question is the ATI FIREPRO 2450 PCI-E. I will get more HW info from the desktop and list it here in a bit. Installed WinXp Pro SP3 VLA. Setup would give me a BSOD after copying the files and after a bit of tweaking i had to switch the SATA Emulation from AHCI to IDE. Once i did this windows setup was able to continue. I have NO idea why this needed to be done when the pre-loaded OS was working with emulation in AHCI, but alas, i don't think that's the problem. Installed windows, applied all necessary updates installed our base software and took an image of the desktop. Dropped the image on a new PC, again having to change the SATA emulation to IDE but everything seemed to be working fine. Re-SIDed the second PC, joined to the domain and continued installing the rest of the software for the particular user. Finally dropped the ATI FirePro 2450 in it and rebooted. Here's the problem now. The card goes into a full PCIE slot. When rebooting, i get the POST screen fine and it starts loading windows. At the windows screen the blue bars go across 4-5 times and then the screen goes blank. have waited upwards of 15 minutes and the screen never returns. The pc continues to boot up and actually i am able to log in. (fumbled my way through the log in process but once i got it right i can hear the windows logon sound.) I am at a loss. If i put the card in an OTB dc7900 with the pre-loaded OS it seems to work fine. chipset/bios drivers are the same on both PC's. I tried one of our full PCIE Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 dual cards and that worked like a charm. I was able to get the PC in question as a quad setup with 2 dual cards, one full PCIE and one Express. But this is not a viable solution. Also i was able to boot into safe mode but unable to install the ATI Drivers. Anyone have any insight on this? Maybe come across a similar problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ice
    ***Update***
    Found the issue and resolved it. Well it looks like the ATI card does not disable the Intel Embedded Video Controller on the new DC7900's. Just for kicks i plugged in a cable to the on board VGA and lo and behold there i was greeted with the Windows log on screen. Logged in installed the ATI drivers, rebooted, same issue. Plugged vga cable again, logged in, checked device manager and saw that the embedded intel controller was still showing in the Display Adapters list. Disabled that and rebooted. PC works like it should. I"m guessing this is probably something to do with the new chipset drivers for the new PC's. Every other DC model we've had automatically disables the embedded controller but i'm not 100% convinced of that. I did not have to disable the controller in the DC7900 when i put in the 2 dual cards from Nvidia. It automatically did it. Is it the card then? I don't know. I'm glad that i was able to work it out though. Hopefully this helps someone with similar issues.
    Last edited by IceNine; 6th July 2009, 22:59. Reason: Posting Solution

Re: Losing Display after Putting quad card

Thanks for posting back with the solution Ice. You must have been pulling your hair out with this one as that "fix" is certainly way down on my fix list. Well done on getting it sorted.

Have you phoned HP as to why this SFF unit behaves like that? Will be a real pain going to each machine and have to disable it in the BIOS.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Thanks for posting back with the solution Ice. You must have been pulling your hair out with this one as that "fix" is certainly way down on my fix list. Well done on getting it sorted.

Have you phoned HP as to why this SFF unit behaves like that? Will be a real pain going to each machine and have to disable it in the BIOS.

Well that's the funny bit, it IS disabled in the bios. The ATI VGA Controller is the "Primary VGA Device" whereas the Intel Other Display Controller is set to "Non-boot device". Looking at all the PCI devices on the PC and their IRQ # the Intel Other Display Controller says disabled. Like i said above, i'm not putting the fault 100% on the PC itself because the 2 Nvidia cards that i put in it actually behave like they should. The Intel Controller does not even show in device manager, which is what would be considered "normal". Unfortunately the ATI FirePro 2450 is the only ATI card we have in-house. I might persuade the powers that be to order an Nvidia Quadro NVS 420 (small form quad card) for testing purposes to see if it behaves the same as the ATI. Although, because the Quadro NVS 290 (dual card) works like it should i think the quad card would work the same. I'm guessing ATI hasn't updated their drivers to fully "work" with these new models from HP. TBH the "fix" is relatively simple, just keep the VGA cable plugged in after putting in the quad card and just disabling the display adapter in device manager.

Comment

What about a BIOS upgrade? Had an Acer with a different problem that was caused by a borked BIOS. They came out and did all 50 odd units under warranty.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem on the DC 7900 and the NVS 420 video card. I tried looking for a way to turn off the on board video but could not find it but I will try your solution tomorrow. My NVS 290 boards work great on this machine. If this does no work I will revert back to my Matrox Aurora video board for my 3 monitor medical setup. The Matrox does work on this PC.

I contacted PNY support and they want me to update the BIOS version so I may end up trying that too. I will post again once I have some results.

Comment

Moved to hardware forum.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              What about a BIOS upgrade? Had an Acer with a different problem that was caused by a borked BIOS. They came out and did all 50 odd units under warranty.
              I don't know if there is a BIOS update for this model just yet. It is relatively new.
              I'll double check though.

Comment

Working...
              X