Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP DL160 iLO Functionality?

Hi,

I'm trying to establish what kind of iLO capability the HP DL160 G5 (basic pizza where just about everything else has to be purchased) has ... according to one site:

Like the other systems in the HP ProLiant line, the DL160 comes with HPs iLO technology, which enables remote management through an embedded Web server. However, the DL160 didnt come with HPs Insight Manager, which would have provided system monitoring, the ability to send alerts, and asset management. This feature is standard on the higher end of the ProLiant line.

We're having problems getting the iLO functionality working on some Windows 2003 servers (not that the OS should be an issue I guess) so I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this?

Thanks

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: HP DL160 iLO Functionality?

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    I'm trying to establish what kind of iLO capability the HP DL160 G5 (basic pizza where just about everything else has to be purchased) has
    According to HP's web site the 160 G5p comes stock with the ILO 100i: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-3782990.html

Here's HP's support page for the 100i: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...ced/index.html

You should be able to use the HP Quick Start CD (I can't remember off the top of my head what they're called) to boot form and find out about the components that are installed to get the exact ILO model.

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    We're having problems getting the iLO functionality working on some Windows 2003 servers (not that the OS should be an issue I guess) so I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this?
    What kind of problems are you having in specific?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      What kind of problems are you having in specific?
      It appears the HP config utility (hponcfg.exe) doesn't support the iLO hardware ("unsupported hardware" error) ... we have no issues running the utility on DL380 G5's.

Thanks for the links

Kyu

Comment

Why are you running HPConfig on DL 160? AFAIK, this software is not intended for the DL1XX series ...
        I think I should use some other utility, but cannot know for sure, until you give more details...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

OK ... thanks

Slightly more problematic, this is the first time I've dealt with this server type and the DL160 appears to be extremely basic ... does anyone know how to access the iLO? I am basically trying to configure the network (IP, speed & duplex) and security (password protect admin and create a new user).

I'd assumed it was done at boot time (press F8 at the right point in the boot process) but I can't see any obvious prompt (only for the RAID). Other options are CTRL + S which leads to a basic configuration menu and F10 which accesses the system BIOS ... one entry refers to some kind of remote access but when I enable it it doesn't give me anything useful either in the additional BIOS options or on restart.

I'm off to try and find a documentation CD now

Kyu

Comment

I am not accustomed to the DL 1XX series, I use the 3XX series mostly.
            You should have a prompt right at the beginning, before the controller shows up.
            Anyway, a workaround I can think of is connecting the iLO to the network and let it get an IP from the DHCP. You can then connect to it through a browser. The default username is "administrator" and the default password is written on a card attached to the server.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

If you drop into the BIOS, there should be a screen for configuring the ILO's network configuration. On the ML1** series there is no special pre-boot screen dedicated to the ILO, it's rolled into the regular BIOS screens. Sorinso's suggestion would work just as well though since by default it should get an IP via DHCP and then you could check for new DHCP leases or do a netscan of that subnet. From there, just connect to it via a web browser and configure it to your desires.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I agree DHCP would be a good suggestion if DHCP were installed (it's a datacenter) but at any rate it's now resolved (you were pretty much right nonapeptide).

In order to configure the (very) basic iLO functionality on the DL160 you access the BIOS and under "IPMI Configuration" (they renamed iLO it seems) then "LAN Configuration" where you can enable & configure static IP. The rest is by remote access but fairly straight forward (Sorinso: on these models the default user/PW was "admin"/"admin" ... er I think).

Thanks for you help guys

Kyu
                Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 26th June 2009, 16:48.

Comment

Cool.
                  I'm glad to hear you solved the problem. And thanks for posting back the solution.
                  BTW, you only need a DHCP server on the network, no need to install it on THAT server...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                    BTW, you only need a DHCP server on the network, no need to install it on THAT server...
                    I know it's a simple thing and yeah I could do it (easily) but you really can't in the environment I work in, heads would roll (namely mine) if you installed a DHCP server into an environment where customer servers were being hosted. I'm afarid the days where IT people like me can do as they wish are long gone in this kind of company ... that's not a good thing but it's not all bad either.

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                    X