Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

Hi

I tried to use new branded “R-Driver III” USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE device with Laptop HD IDE and Desktop HD IDE (once at a time) but it did not show me the HD , although I checked Disk Management (each one at a time)

I thought the problem with “ R-Driver III ”, about another one branded as Ritmo

Still the same problem is going on with both Hard Disks (external power source is used for 3.5 HD not 2.5,,,,,,,,I can hear spinning for 3.5 but not for 2.5)

I jumpered HD3.5 as master then slave,,,still I can not access it (although master/slave jumper settings might not come into play when we are using USB connections)

Both hard disks are working if I hook them into a computer

The device that I was talking about is same as in the link below

http://techacs.blogspot.com/2007/11/...ide-cable.html

Any thought would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

When I connected USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE to my laptop (before it was being connected to desktop),,,I received this message :

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rsamsunghd.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?im...tforsamsun.jpg

Comment

If the drives work OK when connected properly, the fault is in your cable or usb ports

Are you getting enough power for the 2.5" drive? Laptop drives will sometimes run off the USB's internal power (500mA) but sometimes need additional

You can get a cable that takes power from 2 USBs or an additional power adaptor

Have you tested on a different computer?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you tested on a different computer?
        When I connected USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE to my laptop (before it was being connected to desktop)

the fault is ,,,,,,,or usb ports
        4 ports on a new desktop and two ports on laptop,,,,total USB ports are 6,,,,,,do you think there is problem with all 6 USB ports ?

the fault is in your cable
        Two new USB SATA IDE cables ,,,both of them are faulty ?
        Last edited by zillah; 13th May 2009, 07:37.

Comment

2 different hard drives fail when plugged into 2 different machines (laptop and desktop) when using these cables.

The hard drives work when plugged directly into the machines (from your information below) so we we know they are good.

This would likely mean the USB convertor cables or USB ports are at fault.

As Ossian states, power may be the issue here, although you also say the 3.5" hdd is separately powered.

What speed are the USB ports on the desktop/laptop?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

When you go into disk management, have you initiated a rescan?

Comment

When you go into disk management, have you initiated a rescan?
              No . I did not do that

Comment

Well try it.

Comment

Make sure the HDD is set to Master. I have found this to be an issue with both 2.5" and 3.5" IDE HDDs.
                  11 was a racehorse.
                  22 was 12
                  1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
                  ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

I tried the USB device and HD 3.5 on my friend's laptop and it worked fine without any problem.

His OS is XP , does not have any utilities installed on his laptop , unlike mine which I have got heaps of utilities.

Therefore he told that might be my problem,,,,Any input for such type of suggestion ?

Comment

Thanks Guys for the inputs and trying to help.

To share a knowledge for whom might experience the same issue the problem is solved and credit goes to

Code:
                      http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1477419&posted=1#post1477419

Comment

Thank you for coming back and let us know you solved the issue and especially for posting back the solution.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Working...
                        X