Ghosting 6650 to 2950

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosting 6650 to 2950

Someone has proposed that I should take a Ghost (acronis trueimage, call it whatever you like...) of an existing server.

The existing server is a Dell Poweredge 6650 with a Perc3 controller card.
    THe new server we are being asked to ghost it onto is a Dell PowerEdge 2950, with PERC6/i cards.

Old server is running windows 2000.

It's just a bad idea, isn't it.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Ghosting 6650 to 2950

Well Acronis is for that very purpose, restoring to dissimilar hardware. During the restore you'll most likely need to tell Acronis to load additional drivers from a CD (for the perc drivers). I would think most other hardware would be OK (network card, video card, etc.).

Comment

Don't use Ghost as it has trouble with RAID. As Joe said, use Acronis.

Is this a Member Server or a Domain Controller that you want to image?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

member servers, one is a Barcode server, one is a Crystal reports server..

i had no idea Acronis could do it.... might be something i can look at.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As others have said, Ghost in my experience only works with any sort of reliability on very similar hardware. Acronis is decent, Backup Exec System Recovery is also capable of bare metal restores to dissimilar hardware.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X