Having trouble with gigabyte geforce 8600 gts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble with gigabyte geforce 8600 gts

i just recently received a 8600gts m/n: gv-nx86s256h and its not showing in device manager. running winxp home32, ms k8ngm2-l mobo, ddr 4x1gb pc 3200, amd opty dual core x2 180, slots: 1 pci-ex 16x, 1 pci-e1, 2 pci. I have tried a regular pci vga and its found by new hardware and i went into bios to enable pci express when present but nothing and i touched the vga heatsink ontop its running and luke warm to the touch so i know there is power to the gpu; could the card or the pci-ex slot be bad any info would help thanks

vga 8600gts does not display in device manager

i just recently received a gigabyte geforce 8600gts m/n: gv-nx86s256h and its not showing in device manager. running winxp home32, ms k8ngm2-l mobo, ddr 4x1gb pc 3200, amd opty dual core x2 180, slots: 1 pci-ex 16x, 1 pci-e1, 2 pci. I have tried a regular pci vga and its found by new hardware and i went into bios to enable pci express when present but nothing and i touched the vga heatsink ontop its running and luke warm to the touch so i know there is power to the gpu; could the card or the pci-ex slot be bad any info would help thanks

Comment

Re: vga 8600gts does not display in device manager

Have you installed the drivers for the card???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Have you installed the drivers for the card???
        no i have not installed the drivers but should windows detect it by plug and play. i will try the drivers.

Comment

No windows will probably try and install standard vga drivers because it doesn't have the correct drivers for the card.

It will detect the card though and if you can see the screen then its working in some form.

Load the drivers from the cd and jobs a good un.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            No windows will probably try and install standard vga drivers because it doesn't have the correct drivers for the card.

It will detect the card though and if you can see the screen then its working in some form.

Load the drivers from the cd and jobs a good un.
            i have a onboard vga thats why i can view the screen but the pci-ex vga is not displaying in the device manager and when i started up windows after installing the geforce 8600gts and windows didnot find it through plug and play and did not prompt for found new hardware.

Comment

Re: Having trouble with gigabyte geforce 8600 gts

You could have a faulty card or it may be the wrong speed for the slot you have on the motherboard. Check the motherboard specs to make sure it will work in it.

When you boot is there any POST info on the screen? Hang on, you said it doesn't show up in Device Manager. Have you installed the drivers for the card? Insert the CD that should have come with the card. Follow the instructions on the screen. If that fails, look in Device Manager for the device that has the yellow exclamation mark and Reinstall Driver or go into the Driver tab and Update Driver.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Moved to hardware forum
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please do not double post across forums.

Reported to mods and you may end up with a 2 week ban.

Have you tried connecting your monitor to the new card??

What happens??

Comment

Moved to hardware forum.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

yeah i know excuse the double post didnt realize it until i hit the submit new thread. i am still a newbie with forums; first one to be exact. thanks for the lookout and shoutout.

Comment

wullieb1 yes i have connected the monitor to the vga card and no signal. i have installed all drivers and still not displaying in device manager it just maybe the mobo i have checked the msi website about the mobo specs and it says it can support pci-ex 16x vga card. a weird thing happens when i disable the onboard vga and just enable the pci express the board just does a hard reboot and i hear the beep from the post and it just resets till it starts up again and then i check the bios and all settings are restored even though i hit f10 to save all changes before exiting bios.

Comment

Enable the onboard video, plug the PCI-ex card in and let the motherboard handle the disabling. If it can handle a 16x speed card then it should be able to auto disable the onboard when a card is connected.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i will give it a try thanks for the advice. kid

Comment

biggles77 i have tried vga card on different mobo an asus a8n32 gaming and got a post so obviously the vga card is functioning just not on my mobo, i tried disabling the onboard chipset didnt work got a hard reboot. maybe it is my current bios dont know.

Comment

Working...
                              X