printer access denied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printer access denied

I'm on ubuntu 8.10 trying to access a printer on a windows network attached to a windows XP PC using SAMBA. I get a printer access denied error when I try to print. I tried downloading and installing HPLIP but during the installation it can't find the printer on the network. any ideas?

Re: printer access denied

Anything in the XP machine event logs?
    What are the security settings on the printer?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I found out with this particular HP PSC 1310 printer had a flaw that it would give access denied error when connecting. They made a patch. I donlowded it but it still doesn't work.

Comment

And my questions above?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can you try running lpstat from a root prompt? Any information that gives will help to diagnose the issue.

How is the printer connected to the XP machine? Is it a local TCP/IP port, or USB etc.? If it is USB or some other physical connection, if you can add it as a network printer please try that, I have always had better luck for some reason.

Also, does the printer name have a space in it? If so, try renaming the printer to not have a space in the name.

Can you access file shares using Samba on the Ubuntu box? I'd just like to be sure that Samba is working at all.

What are the permissions on the printer on the XP machine? Try giving the Everyone group full access to the printer and see if it helps.
          Last edited by eramnes; 25th April 2009, 03:02. Reason: Thought of another troubleshooting step
          Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Working...
          X