Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

    This is a teaser...

    After reconnecting a CD-Rom, XP does not boot, keeps saying boot device not found.

    When I disconnect the CD-Rom it boots ok! (BIOS has been set to boot from HDD)

    HDD & CD-Rom are connected onto 2 different IDE connectors and the jumper settings have been set correctly.

    Am I overlooking something?

    TAI

  • #2
    Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

    If you swap them round then do you get a similar issue?
    cheers
    Andy

    Please read this before you post:


    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

      Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      If you swap them round then do you get a similar issue?
      Hi Andy,

      The system belongs to a friend so I'll have to wait till the weekend to try that - I thought of doing it at the time but didn't see the need as prior to the disconnection of the CD-Rom everything had worked ok hence the puzzle....

      Regards,

      Josh

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

        Also, I was always told connect HDD to IDE connector 1 and other IDE devices to connector 2.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

          Doesn't matter really, anyway we are just testing to see if it makes a difference!
          If you know the settings it may also be worth resetting the bios too. Is there a later version available for your mb?
          cheers
          Andy

          Please read this before you post:


          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

            The system belongs to a friend and I have no access to it until the weekend - so I'll see what I can do then but I'm dying to fix it for him - hence trying to get as many suggestions as possible before the weekend.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

              Is this a new motherboard or an older one? On some of the older ones you could set the boot device in the BIOS to the Secondary Contoller. That way whatever device was attached to the second IDE controller became the primary boot.

              Check the BIOS settings and select the HDD as the 1st boot device.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Is this a new motherboard or an older one? On some of the older ones you could set the boot device in the BIOS to the Secondary Contoller. That way whatever device was attached to the second IDE controller became the primary boot.

                Check the BIOS settings and select the HDD as the 1st boot device.
                The BIOS setting is set to boot from the HDD first, that's why I don't understand why it doesn't bypass the CD-Rom? As soon as the cdrom is disconnected it boots ok. Very strange indeed!

                Edit: the system is an old pentium.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                  Hey Josh,
                  Try slapping a different CD ROM in there. It is my bet that the CDROM is flodding everything out.
                  Two things:
                  1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
                  2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                    Originally posted by Draenok View Post
                    Hey Josh,
                    Try slapping a different CD ROM in there. It is my bet that the CDROM is flodding everything out.

                    Draenok,

                    I've tested the CD-Rom in a different PC and it works fine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                      Try it anyway. What have you got to lose Its likely that I am wrong, but I have seen similar things before. You never know though.
                      Two things:
                      1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
                      2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                        Assuming that you're booting the computer with no cd in the drive, my guess is that the drive is hosed and POST is hanging up trying to query the drive to determine what it is. In the BIOS there are usually two settings for detecting drives: Auto or Manual. With Auto the BIOS detects the drive and queries it during POST. With Manual you tell the BIOS what type of device is connected, such as a CDROM drive. In any event, POST has to query the device on startup and may hang if it can't communicate with the device. I have to say that I've never actually seen this happen with a CDROM drive but I've seen it with secondary hard drives. Try putting the drive in another computer and see if the problem "follows" the drive.

                        If you're booting the computer with a cd in the drive, then I agree with Draenok and the cd is probably bad. The fact that it works in another computer means nothing. I've seen plenty of cd's that worked in one computer and not another and vice versa. Try an OEM or retail cd in the drive and see if it works.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                          Originally posted by Josh50 View Post
                          The BIOS setting is set to boot from the HDD first, that's why I don't understand why it doesn't bypass the CD-Rom? As soon as the cdrom is disconnected it boots ok. Very strange indeed!

                          Edit: the system is an old pentium.
                          It may be set to boot from the HDD first, but what Controller? Swap the HDD and CD ROM cables to each others other IDE ports. Change NO other BIOS settings.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                            Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                            Assuming that you're booting the computer with no cd in the drive, my guess is that the drive is hosed and POST is hanging up trying to query the drive to determine what it is. In the BIOS there are usually two settings for detecting drives: Auto or Manual. With Auto the BIOS detects the drive and queries it during POST. With Manual you tell the BIOS what type of device is connected, such as a CDROM drive. In any event, POST has to query the device on startup and may hang if it can't communicate with the device. I have to say that I've never actually seen this happen with a CDROM drive but I've seen it with secondary hard drives. Try putting the drive in another computer and see if the problem "follows" the drive.

                            If you're booting the computer with a cd in the drive, then I agree with Draenok and the cd is probably bad. The fact that it works in another computer means nothing. I've seen plenty of cd's that worked in one computer and not another and vice versa. Try an OEM or retail cd in the drive and see if it works.
                            What I meant to say before was that I tried the "CD-Rom drive" in another computer and it worked fine and not just the CD.

                            Also, I meant when I booted the PC with the "CD-Rom Drive" disconnected it booted ok from HDD.

                            I will swap controllers at the weekend and see what happens and let everyone know here if it has resolved the problem.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Cannot Boot After CD-Rom Reconnection!

                              OK, I misunderstood you. I would suggest going back to basics then:

                              1. Reset the BIOS settings to the default settings.

                              2. Make sure that the HDD is on IDE channel 1 by itself, with the jumper set as master or single.

                              3. Make sure the CDROM is connected to IDE channel 2 by itself, with the jumper set as master or single.

                              4. Check the data cables and make sure they are conected properly and the correct type of cable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Cable. Try a new cable on the CDROM.

                              Check the power connection to the CDROM drive and try another power cable as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X