PC Failures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Failures

I have just been around to a friend who has two PCs needing repairs, which as usual kids have been using. One refuses to run a hard drive, although we replaced it with another I know to work OK, and it shows as present in the CMOS lists, The other PC just bleeps as soon as it is started, though we checked a working Keyboard, Mouse and monitor are connected OK.

Any suggestion guys? Thanks Gordon

Re: PC Failures

I suspect you would need to post more information.

Number 1:
    If the PC shows a hdd in the BIOS, what did you do to detect the HDD after that?

Number 2:
    How many beeps were there? Is everything seated ok?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks kindly for your help.

The first PC no matter which hard drive we tried it just displays the Windows safe or normal etc startup options. Then no matter which you choose it fails to boot up, and just displays the same options again after a mo.

My Pal just phoned me to say after opening up the second PC that just bleeps, he finds there is no hard drive inside. You would not think his son would be daft enought to give him one with no drive without telling him would you.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
        You would not think his son would be daft enought to give him one with no drive without telling him would you.

Gordon
        Never say never ... I saw worse things than that...
        Regarding the first PC, IIUR, the HD you added to it is from another computer... Have you thought of hardware diffeences between them?
        BTW, what Windows are we talking here?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Was about to type and just noticed Sorinso's comments.

Try booting in Safe Mode, if the OS was pre-loaded elsewhere then it may have problems with the hardware in this machine.

In response to no hard drive....
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The little 10 Gig drive we tried was created on a PC using Win XP Pro, and installed on my pals' PC with Win XP Pro

Incidentally did you see MS will no longer provide updates next month onwards for XP. So how risky will it be if I continue to use Win XP but with a full version of Avast anti virus?

Gordon

Comment

Slow down a bit... Too much of a salad here...
              The drive from PC1 was taken from another computer and you installed XP Pro on it after you connected it to PC1?
              Microsoft OS updates have little to do with antivirus software. They usually come to repair certain security breaches found in the products. You can get a virus (or other type of malware on your computer) even if your OS is fully updated...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Thanks. Actually my pal solved the problem by unplugging the hard drive and just plugging it in again. I must remember that dodge, also given to me when a sound card failed to be recognised.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                  Incidentally did you see MS will no longer provide updates next month onwards for XP. So how risky will it be if I continue to use Win XP but with a full version of Avast anti virus?

Gordon
                  Need to be precise here Gordon. Is it XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 or just XP without any service packs installed?

And I have just realised I have gone . 1 reply ONLY on this question before the thread gets split. Ok.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X