External HDD not detecting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HDD not detecting

I have a Maxtor USB external hard drive 200GB. I have take data backup in it, the hard drive was perfectly fine. But now it is not showing up on My Computer but it is under disk management shown as 'unallocated' space all of 179 GB of it. So I am wondering what the problem is . Is it something with the drivers? I have tried it on many computers but same status is there.
    Please do the needful.

Re: External HDD not detecting

back up your data and format it.

Comment

Originally posted by sudhira View Post
      I have a Maxtor USB external hard drive 200GB. I have take data backup in it, the hard drive was perfectly fine. But now it is not showing up on My Computer but it is under disk management shown as 'unallocated' space all of 179 GB of it. So I am wondering what the problem is . Is it something with the drivers? I have tried it on many computers but same status is there.
      Please do the needful.
      Can you remove the HDD from the USB enclosure and try it in a different USB enclosure or try connecting it via an IDE/USB/SATA adapter? The USB enclosure may be the problem and not the HDD.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by rasula View Post
        back up your data and format it.
        The original poster cannot back up that which he cannot see. The drive is showing as "Unallocated" and thus cannot be mounted or browsed. Sudhira, don't format or initialize the drive at all. You still might have a chance at recovering your data if you follow Biggles77's advice, but initializing or formatting the drive will destroy all of the data (if it isn't already) and require costly data retrieval procedures to recover.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Also, try connecting it to another computer and see if you can access it. If not, you could try creating a BartPE CD or a Live Linux CD to see if they're able to access the drive. If so, this might give you a chance to copy the data to another location (hard drive, network share, etc.).

Comment

Working...
          X