Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making external drive USB powered

Hey just a quick question.

I bought a Sony DRXS70U EXTERNAL SLIM DVD BURNER USB but its powered by a AC adaptor. The AC adaptor pumps out 5.2Volts and 2 Amps. If I where to cut a USB cable and use the power cables from it and attach them on a power plug for the drive would this work.

Drive 5.2V - 2A
    USB Power 5V - .2A

I think the Volts should be ok but will it still be able to work even with the amps a lot less then needed??

Thanks, Dave.

Re: making external drive USB powered

at the risk of embarrassing my physics teacher many years ago.. Power is the Voltage (V) multiplied by the Current (I) plus

V
    I R

so you would have too much resistance to get this working.

Power would be 10.4 or 1 which is a big difference.

It was many years ago though...
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,

Saving you the hassle on cutting through the wires and patching (unless you enjoy doing it ) have a read on:

Sony states that it can't be powered from a USB port, and includes a mains power adaptor, which limits its usefulness as a laptop accessory. However, we found that it worked fine when powered using a 5V-to-USB adaptor cable from www.solentcables.co.uk for 2. It's puzzling why one wasn't included in the first place.

Ref: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/revie...-drxs70ur.html
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the USB spec provides for only 450mA from a USB port. You're drive requires 4 times that amount so it would not work. also, it would not be adviseable from a safety perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          Hi,

Saving you the hassle on cutting through the wires and patching (unless you enjoy doing it ) have a read on:

Sony states that it can't be powered from a USB port, and includes a mains power adaptor, which limits its usefulness as a laptop accessory. However, we found that it worked fine when powered using a 5V-to-USB adaptor cable from www.solentcables.co.uk for 2. It's puzzling why one wasn't included in the first place.

Ref: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/revie...-drxs70ur.html
          Hmmm Interesting,

Yeah seems risky but ohwell, haha. Thanks heaps guys.

Comment

Working...
          X