Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have my HDD's Died

Hi all

I have 2 HDD's both Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7, Models ST340014A & ST380011A, 40 & 80 Gig respectively, which are both exhibiting the same symptoms, which are that when I connect them each in turn to my desktop I can hear them and feel them spinning, but nothing else at all, zilch.

I did think that they had died but then maybe not if they are spinning.

So can anyone out there can help me with this and get them operating correctly?

Thanks in advance to all.

ticker

Re: Have my HDD's Died

Originally posted by ticker View Post
    Hi all

I have 2 HDD's both Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7, Models ST340014A & ST380011A, 40 & 80 Gig respectively, which are both exhibiting the same symptoms, which are that when I connect them each in turn to my desktop I can hear them and feel them spinning, but nothing else at all, zilch.

I did think that they had died but then maybe not if they are spinning.

So can anyone out there can help me with this and get them operating correctly?

Thanks in advance to all.

ticker
    What model server are they in and are you using hardware Raid or SCSI device?

Comment

Originally posted by ticker View Post
      when I connect them each in turn to my desktop I can hear them and feel them spinning, but nothing else at all, zilch.
      What OS are you running and what are you doing to attempt to view the hard drives? If you're using a recent Windows OS, then check disk management to find out if it sees any device as being connected. Maybe they just need a drive letter assigned to them. Also, open device manager after the hard drives have been connected, select "Scan for Hardware Changes" from the action menu and see if the hard drives show up under "disk drives" or if they show some kind of warning or error label.

Have you tried to connect the drives to another computer? Have you tried an external hard drive case or even a SATA/IDE to USB connector (like this)?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

How are they connected to the 40/80 pin cable. Master, Slave or Cable Select? If Cable select and you don't have a Cable Select cable then things might get a bit confusing for the hardware involved.

If set as Slave and you have an older motherboard then te IDE controller may not recognise the HDD.

Similar if you have it set to Master and the drive requires a Slave on the cable then again the hardware can get confused.

Try posting back with all info necessary to enable use to give you a better diagnostic report.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, please check that the HDD connections are set according to Seagate's recommendations (page 29 in the PDF).
          We're waiting for your input.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X