No announcement yet.

UPS and surge suppressors

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS and surge suppressors

I have a Tripp-Lite UPS (SMART 750 USB) and wish to plug in the power supply cord from all of my equipment into it. I have computer, monitor, modem, router, and deskjet printer plus a couple of external hard drives all connected to surge suppressor power strips connected together into one power strip that plugs into a wall outlet. I wish to plug the UPS into the wall outlet and the cord from the equipment into the UPS.

What concerns me is a statement in the Tripp-Lite owners manual which says "Do not connect surge suppressors or extension cords to the output of the UPS. This may damage the UPS and will void the surge suppressor and UPS warranties."

I do not care much about the warranties but just what damage will occurr if I plug my power strips (that each have surge suppressors) into my Tripp-Lite?

Capacity is not an issue, but I want to connect this thing right away. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: UPS and surge suppressors

You are not supposed to connect too many devices into one UPS. It will overload!
    Thats why the warning about powerstrips and the like.

Now, there is no reason to plug anything but the computer itself and the external drives and maybe the router and modem. The rest can stay connected to the wall. Specifically the printer and monitor, those will just kill the battery.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: UPS and surge suppressors

Most UPS manufacturers forbid connecting laser printers to thier devices. And this is due to these printers' behavior. For the curiouses among us: the printer's fuser (the piece that melts the powder to stick to the paper) demands a high and quick energy bust when working. UPSes are not able to supply this as fast as the printer demands it. In time, it will destroy the UPS.
      I don't know how serious your UPS is, but never hold cheap the waranty. Bateries are a very expensive part of the device. If they will turn bad, you will need to replace them... And if you break the waranty, it will cost you a lot of money.
      Does your UPS has utility software? If so, install it, connect the devices one by one, in the order of importance (like Lior_S said) and see when the load is too much. And this, without the surge suppressors, only through an ordinary power strip.
      Last edited by sorinso; 8th March 2009, 07:23. Reason: typos ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.