DELL Poweredge 2900 RAID Config

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DELL Poweredge 2900 RAID Config

Anyone configured RAID on a DELL Poweredge before?

Its my first DELL server ... coming from a HP background I'm struggling to get my head round configuring the DELL as it uses virtual disks with only RAID 0/1 available when building...

What util is used to configure RAID on this machine?

I've created a virtual disk on disks 0 and 1 ... to get started but now wish to use the remaining three disks for RAID 5 tolerance... how do I do this?

Is there a shortcut key I'm missing for RAID on startup?

Re: DELL Poweredge 2900 RAID Config

With our 2900, when it's booting up, there is an option come up with the Perc bios and I think it was control & I (It does state the option) and this is where you configure the arrays

Which raid card does your 2900 have currently?

How many disks do you have in the server?

Comment

Originally posted by madman045 View Post
      With our 2900, when it's booting up, there is an option come up with the Perc bios and I think it was control & I (It does state the option) and this is where you configure the arrays

Which raid card does your 2900 have currently?

How many disks do you have in the server?
      The option defo doesnt come up as thats what I was searching for ...

Off the top of my head (not at work now) its a SAS 5i but I can check on Monday.

It has 5 x 160GB drives...

Using the DELL startup CD I configured two drives for the system as a virtual disk but for some reason the system only sees three of the drives!

Help!

Comment

It seems I could be missing a RAID card in my system if I'm right ...

Comment

what is the raid controller that you have there? is it a PERC5 or PERC6, or is it a SAS5 ?
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Beginning to sound like a Sas IR card and not a Perc 5/6i

The IR cards afaik can only do a raid 0 or 1

Comment

my point exactly - only the PERCs are real raid controllers. the SAS series is only capable of raid0/1 and are a fakeraid solution, having no cpu, ram or bbu onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by madman045 View Post
                Beginning to sound like a Sas IR card and not a Perc 5/6i

The IR cards afaik can only do a raid 0 or 1
                Give that man a clap... your correct

It has a DELL SAS 6/iR Integrated Controller...

Whoever spec'd this machine with 5 x 160GB drives didnt think about the RAID solution...

Cheers Guys

Comment

I'm assuming my other HDD's in this server wont be 'seen' until I install the RAID controller?

Currently the system 'sees' 3 x 160GB HDD... with two of the disks being a virtual disk and the other spare...

Anyone know of a cheaper RAID DELL PERC 6 Controller than will do the job?

160 + VAT seems pricey too me...

Comment

the SAS6 controller only has 4 SAS channels, so 5 disks will not be seen at all

you need a PERC6i. the price you have, is it from Dell direct, or from a reseller? also, check the specs of the server order, maybe it was erroneously delivered with a SAS card, while a PERC was ordered?

Comment

If it has four SAS channels then surely it would see four disks?

Will try and find the Server Specs but this server was ordered five months ago and has been left sat in a box...

... to top it I have a HP ML150 Proliant that wont boot using smartstart disks ... off to google here I come...

Comment

Boot this server using raid controllers cd, there you will get an option for Raid 5 configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by swapneel View Post
                          Boot this server using raid controllers cd, there you will get an option for Raid 5 configuration.
                          No RAID controller CD was supplied with the system...

I'm thinking of ordering this and be done with it now:
                          http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...mance/SAS-5405

As this is holding me up deploying an important server.

Comment

If I install this card (link below) do I remove the DELL card that is already in the machine? - I thought it was an integrated controller but from taking a look inside its not technically...

I'm beginning to hate DELL servers!

Give me a HP / IBM any day!

Comment

well, it is easier to hate than understand, isn't it?

if you want to keep the server warranty and support, get a dell controller. the SAS controller is not exactly integrated, but if you buy a PERC, it will replace the SAS6IR, while if you get a 3rd party card, you can simply insert it into one of the PCI slots.

Comment

Working...
                              X