Poweredge 1850 1 Logical Drive Failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poweredge 1850 1 Logical Drive Failed

My Dell PowerEdge 1850 is not booting to Windows and I am getting a "No boot device available". During the boot process I get the following info:

HA-0 (Bus 2 Dev 14) PERC 4e/Si Standard FW 521X DRAM =256MB (SDRAM)
    Battery module is present on adapter
    1 Logical drive(s) found in host adapter
    1 Logical drive(s) Failed
    1 Logical drive(s) handled by BIOS

The two disks are flashing amber/red as well as the right of the two light next to the 'i'.

This was working fine on Friday and is always shutdown correctly.

Can you please advise?

Re: Poweredge 1850 1 Logical Drive Failed

I would speak with Dell, personally, straight away. There may be an easy fix but they will likely know the best way.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Unfortunately we are not under warranty or have any maintenance agreement for this product any more.

Comment

Can you go into the RAID controller when you boot (is it CTRL+S) and look for any more information
        What type of RAID?
        How many drives?
        What has failed?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Can you go into the RAID controller when you boot (is it CTRL+S) and look for any more information
          What type of RAID?
          How many drives?
          What has failed?

Mirrored Array.

Unable to carry out CTRL+S, I can do a CTRL+M and it takes me into the PERC/CERC Bios Configuration Utility. In there I can view the existing configuration. it is as follows.

RAID CH-0

ID 0 FAIL A00-00
          ID 0 FAIL A00-00

Both disks are FUJITSU 172gb disks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Comment

Because its mirrored you have a much better chance of recovering

If the data is critical, you should pay Dell to sort their hardware out for you
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

typical issue.

what you need is to do is:
              1. establish which HDD failed first.
              2. force the other drive (the one that failed second) online and try to boot
              3. if boot fails, force the second disk offline again, and force the first drive online
              4. if you still cannot boot - tough luck, both drives are actually dead.
              5.some data corruption might occur, if you only manage to boot to the disk that failed first (older data will be present)

after you are done, get the raid to rebuild again, and after the rebuild is complete, update the firmware for the controller and the hard drives (especially if you have maxtors in there)
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
              X