Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure non-RAID disk into RAID 1 array without losing data/restoring

Hi there folks

Apologies in advance if this is a goofy question.

I have a server (HP DL) with a single disk hanging off a non-raid scsi adapter.

What I would like to do, with the additon of another disk the same size as the existing disk, is create a RAID 1 array on another server which has (obviously) a raid controller.

Now, I suspect the common response to this query is 'you can't create a raid 1 array using an existing disk without losing the existing os/data'.

However, I am certain in a dark and distant part of my career that I witnessed someone do that very thing - though unfortunately I don't know how it was done, nor can I remember the server hardware make.

Having google'd, it seems that some raid controllers store the raid data in a chip on the raid card as opposed to on the disk, so the disk doesn't need to be over-written when the raid array is created.

And that somehow it is possible to take an existing disk, create a degraded raid 0 array, which doesn't affect the data at all on the disk, and then 'morph' the raid 0 into a raid 1 array, with the additon of another disk.

As I say, I am certain I have seen an existing disk being used in a new raid 1 array on another server without the data being affected.

Can anyone advise if they succeeded at this before?

Thanks in advance

Taw_J

Re: Configure non-RAID disk into RAID 1 array without losing data/restoring

It is going to come down to your RAID controller
    Most hardware based ones I have seen offer you the option to clone an existing disk as opposed to starting from scratch

Have a good look at the manual before you do anything

Note though, that if you move the OS drive from one controller to another, it will need the correct RAID drivers installed for it to boot
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You will need to provide much more information for me to be able to give you an exact answer...
      What type of server (exact model) is the new server? Is it HP also?
      What type of hard disk are we talking about?
      Most important: what RAID server you have in the new server?

I managed to do things like these with HP servers, although I will need all relevant info to be sure...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thank you Ossian and Sorinso

I know I should have listed the server details, apologies.

Will post them asap.

Thank you both for replying

Taw

Comment

Hi guys

Here are the server/raid details:

Current Server

Dell PowerEdge 1850

SCSI Adapter

LSI Logic PCI-X Ultra320 SCSI Host Adapter (embedded)

Disk

Maxtor Atlas10K5_73SC 68.37Gb

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Target Server

Dell PowerEdge 2850

PERC 4e/Di Raid Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do Dell raid controllers offer the option to build an array around an existing data disk?

Thanks

Taw

Comment

DOH ?!?!?
            Where's that HP server you talked about earlier?

I am not accustomed with Dell products enough to give you an advice in this one ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

My apologies.

With so many different servers to manage spread over various customer accounts, I wrote 'HP DL' instead of 'Dell PE'.

Taw

Comment

Never mind ...
                Just kidding...
                The issue is that HP I know pretty well, Dell not even a bit...
                So cannot help

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

As far as I know such things are possible using Dell's OpenManage or ArrayManage suite. However I've never done it. If you are still under warranty it's worth giving Dell a call and have one of their techs go through the procedure with you, as this gives you a degree of protection if things go wrong. Obviously make sure you have a full backup before starting as well.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you guys

Will call Dell and see what the crack is.

All the best

Taw

Comment

Update:

I came across this document:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/s...dc/UG/bios.htm

In the document there is the following chapter:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Using a Pre-loaded SCSI Drive "As-is"

NOTE: To use a pre-loaded system drive in the manner described here, you must make it the first logical drive defined (for example: LD1) on the controller it is connected to. This makes the drive ID 0 LUN 0. If the drive is not a boot device, the logical drive number is not critical.

You may have a SCSI hard drive that is already loaded with software. The drive may be a boot disk containing an operating system. If so, add the PERC device driver to this system drive before you switch to the PERC 4 and attempt to boot from it. Perform the following steps to use the PERC 4 controller as a SCSI adapter for such a drive:
                      1. <LI value=1>Connect the SCSI drive to the channel on the PERC 4 controller, with proper termination and target ID (TID) settings.

<LI value=2>Boot the computer.

<LI value=3>Start the BIOS Configuration Utility by pressing <Ctrl><M>.

<LI value=4>Select Configure> Easy Configuration.

<LI value=5>Press the cursor keys to select the pre-loaded drive.
                      2. Press the spacebar.
                      The pre-loaded drive should now become an array element.
                      1. Press <Enter>.
                      You have now declared the pre-loaded drive as a one-disk array.
                      1. <LI value=8>Set the Read Policy and Cache Policy on the Advanced Menu.

<LI value=9>Exit the Advanced Menu.
                      2. Highlight Accept and press <Enter>.
                      Do not initialize.
                      1. <LI value=11>Press <Esc> and select Yes at the Save prompt.

<LI value=12>Exit the BIOS Configuration Utility and reboot.
                      2. Set the host system to boot from SCSI, if such a setting is available.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The intersting line is:
                      1. Press <Enter>.
                      You have now declared the pre-loaded drive as a one-disk array.

I wonder then, if the pre-loaded scsi disk is now configured on the perc raid controller as a 'one-disk array' can this one disk array be morphed into a raid 1 configuration by adding another disk?

Anyone done this?

Cheers

Taw_J

Comment

Working...
                      X