Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a dependable 500 Giga external HD

Hi,
    My external HD (WD MyBook 500) ceased to work. When I bought it, around a year ago, i read promising reviews, especially on its reliability. Well, no more. This HD is a crap. At least mine.
    Could you suggest a dependable external HD of a similar size?

Re: Looking for a dependable 500 Giga external HD

I've got a 750 GB Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus, works great.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've got 7 Seagate FeeAgent Desktop external HDDs and I have never had a problem. I have a mixture of 1TB and 500GB drives and they are consantly in use.

Comment

WD pocket sized drives work for me
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would pretty much guarantee, no matter which one you pick, you will find someone that doesn't like the drive because theirs crashed. HDDs are mechanical and will fail at some point. You may have just been unlucky or possibly not careful enough with it.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by chermesh View Post
            Hi,
            My external HD (WD MyBook 500) ceased to work. When I bought it, around a year ago, i read promising reviews, especially on its reliability. Well, no more. This HD is a crap. At least mine.
            Could you suggest a dependable external HD of a similar size?
            Check the warranty. There was a WD unit like this that had a 3 year warranty.

I believe Seagate have one that has a 5 year warranty. Don't know what it was called, I just remember the warranty.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good point raised. The Seagate drive I mentioned comes with 5 Year Limited Warranty. Not sure what the limits are as I have never had to claim, touch wood.

Comment

Working...
              X