All In one Printers with Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All In one Printers with Server 2003

Hello, I haven't posted here in a long time but I thought this would be the best place.
    I use Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition at home as it's a more stable OS than anything else I have used. The problem I am running into is buying a new Inket Colour printer to replace my aging Lexmark Z32. Most printers now are All in Ones which are fine or I would even get a photo printer as I really don't need a new scanner or fax. Most manufacturer websites I visit do not list 2003 drivers but commonly list 2000/XP and Vista as supported. The printer may work fine but any Fax or Scanning software likely will not. I don't want to buy one try the install CD and then take it back when I find the OS is not supported.
    My question is does anyone have a working model with 2003 that they can recommend?
    Thanks

Re: All In one Printers with Server 2003

XP drivers work with 2k3. I know Dell printers work with 2k3 fine

Comment

Originally posted by smartegyptian View Post
      Thanks, I will keep that in mind but I'm looking more at Lexmark, Canon, Epson printers. In Canada there is not a great deal of shops that sell Dell. Are you talking about all in ones?

Comment

http://reviews.cnet.com/printers/
        http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...72-236251.html
        http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/dept.a...EN&catid=21191

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thnaks for the model updates and comparisons but does anyone know if these models work with 2003 drivers for the fax and copy software?

Comment

Originally posted by smartegyptian View Post
            This is a very bold blanket statement!!! I personally think it's TOO bold.

Yes, there are some manufacturers whose drivers will work on both XP and 2k3 - but this is almost certainly NOT true of all.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by ak85lp View Post
              Thnaks for the model updates and comparisons but does anyone know if these models work with 2003 drivers for the fax and copy software?
              For that information I would suggest contacting the manufacturer (unless a member has personal experience with one of them). If, as you state above, "I really don't need a new scanner or fax.", then the fax/scanner software working is really not that important. This is one of the drawbacks of using Server 2003 as a workstation (something it was really not designed to do).

Another option it to create an XP Virtual PC on Server 2003 and run the software on that.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                This is a very bold blanket statement!!! I personally think it's TOO bold.

Yes, there are some manufacturers whose drivers will work on both XP and 2k3 - but this is almost certainly NOT true of all.
                Agreed. That's why I am asking for help on this.

Comment

For Biggles_77, I would add the webcast on managing and administering printers in Windows Server 2003.

Comment

Another option it to create an XP Virtual PC on Server 2003 and run the software on that.
                    If the printer is USB (as most of them come today), then there a problem will arise, since Virtual PC does not have USB support. Plus, VirtualPC is not supported on the Enterprise version of 2003 (only on Standard).
                    One might think of VMWare products instead.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      If the printer is USB (as most of them come today), then there a problem will arise, since Virtual PC does not have USB support. Plus, VirtualPC is not supported on the Enterprise version of 2003 (only on Standard).
                      One might think of VMWare products instead.
                      POX!! Good points Sorin.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You may be able to share the USB printer on the local machine Virtual PC is installed on and then map to that shared printer.

Never tried it before but I know you can access local files etc.

Comment

The reason for installing the printer under Virtual PC though was that the printer might not be supported by the host OS. Therefore it couldn't be installed and shared from the host OS.
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I realise that. Just wanted to mention this as, as you said 'might not', so 'could be'. Also, just an idea for Virtual PC for others who may read this thread and get the impression that it is impossible for them to connect a USB printer to Virtual PC, so a possible way of doing it seeing they can't directly on the Virtual PC.

Comment

The OP wants to run the Fax software from within XP from the virtual machine, hard for me to believe that it can be achieved with a shared printer ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X