Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ethernet card

hello there,

i am a novice to this forum and this is my first post. i got a sony vaio laptop and i divided my harddrive in to two disk drives C and D. in C i got windows XP media center and i got it from the sony. now, i would like to take MCSE exams and i thought of installing windows 2003 in the D drive. i did windows 2003 installation in drive D and the problem is the 2003 doesn't have ethernet card drivers. so it could not find out my ethernet card. so 2003 doesn't even run me dcpromo command. i went to sony website to download the drivers. unfortunately the driver support they are offering is exclusively for win xp as this laptop ships with win xp. i would like to know what my ethernet card is and i would like to download those drivers from a third party vendor rather than sony. can anybody help me out how i can find out the name of the ethernet card i am using and where i can get the drivers.

cheers
    jdsony

Re: ethernet card

Moved to hardware forum (whoo hooo)

In general, XP drivers work with 2003 without too many issues.

IMHO, though, you would be better investigating Virtual PC and running your DC inside your XP box
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the reply ossian,

i downloaded the winxp ethernet card drivers from the sony website and i tried to install them. but it says those drivers are meant for xp and it does not let me install that. i have got my friend's system in his home it has got xp professional on it. i thought if i can install 2003 on my laptop, i would do some real time practice on group policies and other things. virtual pc would not help us to the full extent. we can make the changes for the group policies, but we can't verify them. just let me how would u find out the name of the ethernet card u are using, so that i can google my card and get the drivers.

cheers

Comment

You can find your network card by looking in the speciffications of the notebook, at Vaio site.
        But I don't think that what you are trying to do is the right thing. Running DCPromo on Windwos Server 2003 will create a domain, with your server as DC. You then want to go to your friend's house and test group policies on his coputer? You will need to make it part of your domain for that. And when he will go home, nothing will work for him anymore (because you got the DC with you).
        As Ossian said: look into VirtualPC. This way, you will be able to create a domain inside your computer, with DC and clients and everything.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

hello sorinso,

thanks for the suggestion. as u said, i can't get the ethernet card's name in the sony specification list as my laptop is 2 years old and sony stopped producing it any more. what i am thinking is, i will make my laptop a domain controller and connect my friend's computer to my domain. i will do the necessary research at his home and when i go back to my home, my friend can log on to his local system, not to the domain. thats what i am planning. i am not apathetic to virtual pc, but if u make any changes to the group policy, u can simply do it on the virtual pc and u can't verify whether the changes u made are effictive on a user or not. thats the problem.

cheers

Comment

It's still not a problem.
            Run simply 2 machines in virtual PC or vmware. One DC and One XP client.
            Make the virtual XP client member of the domain you have created in the vitrualized environment.

You probably will ruin your friends PC is you connect it do your domain.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

got the driver name mate. its on the properties dialogue box of my LAN

cheers

Comment

hi dumber,

thanks for the reply. i really didn't know we can do it that way. will try it.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jdsony View Post
                  i can't get the ethernet card's name in the sony specification list as my laptop is 2 years old and sony stopped producing it any more.
                  But you do have it's name in XP, don't you?
                  what i am thinking is, i will make my laptop a domain controller and connect my friend's computer to my domain. i will do the necessary research at his home and when i go back to my home, my friend can log on to his local system, not to the domain.
                  Indeed. But don't forget once you join the computer to the domain, things will look and run differently. One thing you will loose, for instance, is the Welcome screen. The login will be available only through ALT+CTRL+DEL.

i am not apathetic to virtual pc, but if u make any changes to the group policy, u can simply do it on the virtual pc and u can't verify whether the changes u made are effictive on a user or not. thats the problem.
                  Why is that? If your notebook has enough resources (RAM, CPU, hard disk), you can run inside both the DC and the XP client.

Added: Geee, sorry, Iit took me a while to write the reply, and I missed all your conversation meanwhile.
                  Last edited by sorinso; 29th January 2009, 12:45. Reason: :(

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

hello sorinso,

thanks for the suggestion. as u said, i can't get the ethernet card's name in the sony specification list as my laptop is 2 years old and sony stopped producing it any more.
                    cheers
                    Sony support site keep drivers for absolutely ancient models of laptop -- search and you may be surprised.

But I re-ephasise what other have said about VPC
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X