Scanner Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner Recommendations?

Just got tasked with researching scanners w/ automatic document feeders that scan black and white, OCR not needed, and are under $1000. Document packages being scanned are at most 20 pages, and should be saved as PDFs.

Can anyone recommend something like this? I'm hitting NewEgg ATM, seeing what's out there. Fujitsu was recommended as a good brand for this.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Scanner Recommendations?

I had very good luck with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16838152006
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Apparently the dept's current scanner does 25 ppm, and they're needing something faster. Looking at the Fujitsu fi-6130 ATM. Seems almost unjammable, and does 40 ppm.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

for what its worth, most modern MFDs (printer/copier/scanners) seem to come with ADF and often Duplex --- worth replacing multiple boxes with one?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

Heh, I wish it was that easy. 10 feet from their scanner desk is a Konica Minolta bizhub 250. Big MFP. They can't use that because of how much they need to scan. If they did, it would hold up the printer for the rest of that part of the office. Vice versa when other depts need to copy / print hundreds of pages.

Come to think of it, all of the printers are MFPs.

Comment

BUt scanning and printing are two separate parts of the Bizhub -- I use them in just that way....
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Did you ever pick a model that suited your requirements? I've just been told to find us one to complement our Sharp AR-M316. While that's fine for scanning, we don't want to tie it up scanning when people are trying to print or photocopy, and with the sales department going paperless (I know, we'll see the paperless toilet before the paperless office) they're going to need their own scanner. One that connects to the network and talks to the server using FTP, ideally. A3 support would be nice but not essential.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You are right on track. I have purchased multiple low end Fujitsu s510 Scansnap Scanner for single users.
                They are well received where other departments/sites want one too!
                Upside: The scanner comes with Standard Adobe as I recall.
                Downside: It is not a network scanner.
                Upside: A super efficient scanner for your money.

Newegg is a great place. Just be sure to not go with default shipping if you are in a remote area, as default is DHL.
                Last edited by Ossian; 14th February 2009, 08:42. Reason: Commercial URL removed by mod

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  BUt scanning and printing are two separate parts of the Bizhub -- I use them in just that way....
                  True, but if they need to scan, and someone's copying, they're out of luck. It's totally random who needs what on it usually.

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  Did you ever pick a model that suited your requirements? I've just been told to find us one to complement our Sharp AR-M316. While that's fine for scanning, we don't want to tie it up scanning when people are trying to print or photocopy, and with the sales department going paperless (I know, we'll see the paperless toilet before the paperless office) they're going to need their own scanner. One that connects to the network and talks to the server using FTP, ideally. A3 support would be nice but not essential.
                  Actually we didn't purchase anything. Mucked w/ the current scanner, and it turns out it was configured incorrectly from the beginning, so the scanning SW was thinking the automatic document feeder's scans were from someone swapping pages out on a flatbed. As soon as I fixed it and enabled ADF, it flew right through the scans.

Comment

Nice one. What model are you using (and is it a USB or network scanner)?
                    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I wish it was networked lol. It's a Kodak i30. Looks like a POS, but apparently it cost like $6-800. Works well once it's set up correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                        True, but if they need to scan, and someone's copying, they're out of luck. It's totally random who needs what on it usually.
                        So just stand in the queue and gossip
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Right outside of the CEO's office? I think not

Comment

Our CEO is good fun... get half a beer in him and he tells you all of the company's most intimate secrets. Like why he "fired" that director a few months ago.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Since it does have a USB interface you can connect it to a small Print Server like http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/aee...temDetail.aspx and network the sucker. Scanning software may need tweaked for network use.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X